G1000 question - what is THIS?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Pop quiz... C172 G1000 with WAAS.

What's THIS (the 3-1 with arrows)? It's on the PFD between the inset map and the HSI, below the airspeed tape.

C172_G1000_31Arrows.jpg

My guess would be headwind/crosswind components, but I've never flown the G1000 before.

Here it is from the manual....

WIND DATA
Wind direction and speed (relative to the aircraft) can be displayed in a window to the upper left of the HSI.
When the window is selected for display, but wind information is invalid or unavailable, the window shows
“NO WIND DATA”. Wind data can be displayed in three different ways:
• Longitudinal and lateral components (Option 1)
• Total wind direction and speed (Option 2)
• Total direction with head and crosswind speed components (Option 3)
The graphic is of the whole PFD and the four wind options.

Attachments

• G1000_Wind_Panel.jpg
    G1000_Wind_Panel.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 33
That's the effect of the most recent software rev. Previous revs just showed a vector arrow and total wind speed.

It's a good idea to expect slight differences from plane to plane in the rental fleet as upgrades to base G1000 software are NOT automatic, and generally require a technician. So they don't get done often. And they aren't always available for all aircraft types at the same time, so Cessna may have features that Diamond may not, or vice versa.

The cool thing with that rev of software should be the inclusion of airways in flight planning and on the map.

That's the effect of the most recent software rev. Previous revs just showed a vector arrow and total wind speed.

That's why this one surprised me... I've always seen a wind vector arrow relative to my current heading, and total wind speed. I think I still prefer that original method of displaying the information, but that's really what's cool about systems like this--pilots can have it displayed how they want to see it.

Now, I need to pull out the G1000 manuals again (the WAAS ones this time) and find out how to switch the display back to my preferred view if somebody changed that wind vector... :)

Thanks for the replies, guys! What a great board.

When you get in the Aux Pages, you _should_ be able to set things up the way you like it and create a pilot profile, so that you can load your preferences. The G1000 in the Diamond I flew the other day stores 25 users. So I set up my OAT in celsius, my MFD for track up, etc. Works great, and remembers your settings when you change them.

I think the wind vector display setting is under the softkeys on the PFD.

Back