G1000 Power Up / Power Down procedure

skidoo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skidoo
I now have an external power source so I can run the G1000 on the ground. I have also ordered the service manuals and wiring diagrams. But, I have yet to find in the operating manuals the procedure for power up or power down.

There is the Standby Battery Arm switch, Alternator Master, Battery Master, Avionics bus1 and Avionics bus2 switches. I am looking for the proper power up sequence and is there an electronic shut down procedure prior to turning off all switches? I am looking to avoid hardware damage or firmware damage.

Look at the manual for the airplane - it will give you that information. You do it the same as you would with the engine running except you don't start the engine when you have external power.

I'm going to assume you're talking a Cessna, since you mention the standby battery switch. If so, my basic power-up is:

1: Test the standby battery, by holding in the test position, watching the light stay light.
2: Arm the standby battery.
3: Let the system come up, maybe check the ATIS at that point.
4: Master switch on, and start the plane.
5: Avionics bus 1 & 2 come on, simultaneously.

Power down:
1: Avionics bus 1 & 2 off.
2: Engine idle cutoff
3: Master switch off
4: Standby battery off.

I now have an external power source so I can run the G1000 on the ground. I have also ordered the service manuals and wiring diagrams. But, I have yet to find in the operating manuals the procedure for power up or power down.

There is the Standby Battery Arm switch, Alternator Master, Battery Master, Avionics bus1 and Avionics bus2 switches. I am looking for the proper power up sequence and is there an electronic shut down procedure prior to turning off all switches? I am looking to avoid hardware damage or firmware damage.

I doubt that the "wrong" sequence would damage anything. Since all you want to do is run the avionics on the ground I think you just need to flip the master on then the Avionics 1 and 2 on. If the supply is well regulated you wouldn't even need the master although having the aircraft battery online provides good protection from whatever comes out of the GPU.

The Cessna manual calls for energizing Avionics Bus 1, and being sure you hear the fan in the front of the airplane, then energizing avionics bus 2, and being sure you hear the fan in the back. Particularly in the summer, you don't want to keep the G1000 energized if you don't hear each fan. Once the "Magic Smoke" gets out of those things it's really expensive....

1. Arm the standby switch. Wait for the PFD to finish loading.
2. Turn on the BAT side of the master switch. If you turn and leave on for some time the ALT switch with the engine not running you can overheat the field windings in the alternator.
3. Turn on Avionics #1 and #2.
4. When the MFD comes up, follow the instructions.

Shut down is the reverse of the above.

All of this is in the aircraft startup checklist.

Dan

1. Arm the standby switch. Wait for the PFD to finish loading.
2. Turn on the BAT side of the master switch. If you turn and leave on for some time the ALT switch with the engine not running you can overheat the field windings in the alternator.
Great! That is the kind of information I need to know. So that is one switch (ALT) I do Not want ON while training on the ground with no engine running.

3. Turn on Avionics #1 and #2.
4. When the MFD comes up, follow the instructions.

Shut down is the reverse of the above.

All of this is in the aircraft startup checklist.

Dan

My airplane was missing the checklist. I have one on order.

So, if the PFD or MFD is going through any type of sequence or calculation, there is no issue for just switching OFF Avionics switches, then battery switch? I am just thinking of some computers that have problems after a power loss prior to a specified software shutdown sequence... I am hoping that the G1000 isn't prone to such problems...

Great! That is the kind of information I need to know. So that is one switch (ALT) I do Not want ON while training on the ground with no engine running.

My airplane was missing the checklist. I have one on order.

So, if the PFD or MFD is going through any type of sequence or calculation, there is no issue for just switching OFF Avionics switches, then battery switch? I am just thinking of some computers that have problems after a power loss prior to a specified software shutdown sequence... I am hoping that the G1000 isn't prone to such problems...

It's not.

Thanks everyone!

I did my first power-up today and successfully updated the nav data. But, before I powered up, I checked the fuel tanks with one of those glass fuel measure tools. 27 gal on the left and 25 gal on the right. In checking out all the different functions on the G1000, I noticed the fuel gauges showed 52 Gallons with a slight offset between them. I was impressed with the agreement!

Thanks everyone!

I did my first power-up today and successfully updated the nav data. But, before I powered up, I checked the fuel tanks with one of those glass fuel measure tools. 27 gal on the left and 25 gal on the right. In checking out all the different functions on the G1000, I noticed the fuel gauges showed 52 Gallons with a slight offset between them. I was impressed with the agreement!

Yeah, but it's still the same old float-driven potentiometer in the tank, and that thing is some inaccurate. Yours works well now, but in a few years...

Dan

Yeah, but it's still the same old float-driven potentiometer in the tank, and that thing is some inaccurate. Yours works well now, but in a few years...

Dan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the G1000 calculate the gallons remaining based on fuel flow after some reset value. I believe that the reset value must be accurate to begin with in order to have an accurate fuel remaining.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the G1000 calculate the gallons remaining based on fuel flow after some reset value. I believe that the reset value must be accurate to begin with in order to have an accurate fuel remaining.

I believe that will depend on the specific manufacturer and aircraft model, and how they implemented the installation. Which one are you asking about?

Yes, you must enter the starting amount in the G1000. It will then track the amount of fuel used and display the remaining amount (along with a circle around the aircraft on the map showing where it will be with 1 hour remaining).

Two separate systems... the "gauges" run off floats just like any other Cessna. The Totalizer (which feeds things like the "time to die" range ring on the map) measures fuel flow and must be set properly after any fuel addition/removal. This is true for all G1000 systems - the Empty-to-Full gauge is independent of the totalizer.

The Diamond DA40 is interesting in that the floats for the gauge are located inboard enough that they will not show fuel in excess of a certain amount ---just like the analog gauges they replaced.

The Diamond DA40 is interesting in that the floats for the gauge are located inboard enough that they will not show fuel in excess of a certain amount ---just like the analog gauges they replaced.

Cessna's, too. The float can only get so high in the tank, and then it drowns as more fuel is added. Even the small dihedral on the Cessna affects the fuel level at the float, too, and it's right inboard in the tank.

Homebuilders can buy capacitance fuel gauge systems. No moving parts, no such drowned-float inaccuracies, and several senders can be stuck in several places in one tank and the outputs summed to get an accurate indication. Why the certified guys haven't chased this is beyond me. No, wait, I know: Fuel senders are expensive and they fail regularly. Profit.

Dan

Back