G1000 jeppesen nav data and garmin flight charts

dennyleeb

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
7DeltaBravo
Does the nav data give you the waypoints on the mfd for a approach or does that info come from the garmin flight charts? I don't ever use the actual flight charts on the mfd because I have them on my ipad. It is time for me to renew and was thinking about not doing the flight charts is the reason I ask.

The G1000 rental I've been training in does not have FliteCharts, but is perfectly capable of loading an approach into the GPS. The waypoints defining that approach path show up on the MFD along with altitude data for a non-precision approach. I think FliteCharts adds the ability to view the actual procedures, but the regular database is certainly sufficient for flying them if you have the plates on paper or iPad.

well thats what I was wondering because I have had the flightcharts since I bought it a few years ago so I did not know for sure

well thats what I was wondering because I have had the flightcharts since I bought it a few years ago so I did not know for sure

The waypoints come from the Jep navigation database. As mentioned doesn't depend on any kind of charts (Jep or Garmin).

Yes the holds as well if they are on the Jepp approach plates. The Garmin flight charts as well as the Jepp electronic chart service are just to give you an electronic copy of the chart that you can display on the MFD. If you subscribe to the Jepp service, you get some flight planning software, paper copies of the IFR charts and the ability to print out paper copies of charts. But all the procedures, waypoints etc in the nav database come from the Nav Data from Jepp.

This is why you only need current Jep nav data to be RNAV IFR legal.

I have the flitecharts and keep it current even though I never use it. I keep it as a backup in case my iPad craps out.

I have the flitecharts and keep it current even though I never use it. I keep it as a backup in case my iPad craps out.

I used to do that for the same reason. Now I just have a second set of charts on my iPhone. It's hard to believe how much lighter a flight bag can get, if you even still need one.

I fly a jet and a columbia with an ipad and an iphone. Don't even have a pen or paper anymore. Been this way for 2 years.

Back