G1000 has airways as of 7/23 update

Awesome, this will be a great new feature to test out the next time I fly. A big time saver too.

Anyone know when Garmin will release a revised user guide on their website to reflect the changes in the latest software build? I was reading the airways addition isn't the only new feature.

Last edited:
Awesome, this will be a great new feature to test out the next time I fly. A big time safer too.

Anyone know when Garmin will release a revised user guide on their website to reflect the changes in the latest software build? I was reading the airways addition isn't the only new feature.

Since most of the new features are inherited from the Mustang, you can read about airways and such in its G1000 manual, page 163; how to add airways to a flight plan is on page 200:

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/G1000:CessnaMustang_PilotsGuide.pdf

Last edited:
I want it on my 430. Now. For free.

Summary: you pick a waypoint (VOR or Intersection, etc.), the airway, then the exit waypoint for the airway. Hi and Lo airways (J/V) are both in the database, and are colored differently on the MFD. You can "collapse" the airway on the Flight Plan page so it shows the entire airway between the entry/exit point as a single "leg", or "expand" the airway to show all the individual points that make up that airway leg. DTK doesn't show if you collapse, as the airway might have a bend. The system doesn't warn you about airways that are unidirectional (few and far between) or that have limited operating hours (mostly international). It does some tricks to handle "reversing" a flight plan...

Back