G1000 failure

MoltenLava

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MoltenLava
It's a gorgeous day in the Bay Area today. I checked out DA40 hoping to build some XC time and get familiarized with G1000. I started up the engine and checked the annunciation and I noticed GPS and GMA failures. I sat there for a couple of minutes, power cycled master switch but the same error came up again. Not knowing the severity of the reported errors I contemplated on go / nogo. As a VFR pilot I don't need GPS, but having only one radio bothered me a bit. In the end I decided on nogo. I don't have many hours on this aircraft and I didn't want to deal with any other inflight failure on an unfamiliar aircraft. While I'm disappointed that I couldn't fly today, it is reassuring to know G1000 system can tell you if something went wrong, as opposed to discovering the failure inflight when I try to use the failed equipment.

qurapyhe.jpg

Did you have the avionics master switches ON as well?

I'm 99% sure that avionics master was OFF, but funny you mentioned that, because when I turned on the master switch I thought I heard tower communication from my headset sitting on the passenger seat. I haven't gotten to the part of the checklist to turn on avionics master when I saw the errors. But earlier on I did make sure all three switches (ESS bus, avionics, and master) were OFF. Are the errors shown dependent on avionics master switch operation?

When you power cycled the Master switch, did you also cycle the standby battery switch?

I cycled the Master (BAT) and Master (ALT) switches that are grouped together. I'm not sure what standby battery switch is. I'm still trying to get used to this plane.. There are Essential Bus switch and backup battery switch used for alternator failure emergency, and they were left on OFF position at all time.

In our C172 G1000, the Standby Battery would be in the "Arm" position before engine start and "Off" after engine shut down.

Also, Bus1 and Bus2 are turned on after engine start and "Off" prior to engine shut down.

DA40 has an emergency backup battery but there is no arming, and the switch itself is protected with safety wire. Anyways, is the question about the standby battery switch is to determine whether G1000 was properly power cycled?

its a computer - power off - reboot. It'll prob work fine - it just got a burp in the start up sequence.

DA40 has an emergency backup battery but there is no arming, and the switch itself is protected with safety wire. Anyways, is the question about the standby battery switch is to determine whether G1000 was properly power cycled?

Yes, I was wondering if it was actually powered down completely. If the standby battery switch was armed, you didn't accomplish much by recyling the Master switch. Not sure if that was the issue, just a thought.

Or like the others have said, maybe you forgot the avionics switches:dunno:

I'm 99% sure that avionics master was OFF
Wouldn't this be the problem?

Ugh.. you mean it's normal to show the NAV and COMM errors until after avionics switch is turned ON? Maybe I didn't pay as much attention to the annunciation last couple of times I flew G1000, and I thought this was new.. I'll pay more attention to the power up sequence next time I'm in this plane.

Guys, this is a DA40 - Completely different electrical setup than a C172. There is no standby battery switch cycling to be done, and cycling the Master does turn off the G1000 entirely.

However, the second computer, GPS, radio, etc. are wired into the avionics master. If you'd have started the engine and flipped the avionics master on, the second computer would have booted and all your problems would have gone away, most likely.

Know thy airplane...

However, the second computer, GPS, radio, etc. are wired into the avionics master. If you'd have started the engine and flipped the avionics master on, the second computer would have booted and all your problems would have gone away, most likely.

Know thy airplane...

Thanks. I've had only a few hours on this airplane, but I'm getting there!

Ugh.. you mean it's normal to show the NAV and COMM errors until after avionics switch is turned ON? Maybe I didn't pay as much attention to the annunciation last couple of times I flew G1000, and I thought this was new.. I'll pay more attention to the power up sequence next time I'm in this plane.

Correct. Certain LRUs are powered by different avionic busses (aircraft specific).

Back