G1000 Anti Glare Worn out

vontresc

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
vonSegelGoober
Hi all. Our glorious pilots seem to not be able to keep their greasy fingers off the G1000 screens, so now the Garmin anti glare coating is looking like crap.

de9fa2a1-34e5-448c-b939-21f64a1b130e-jpeg.100077

Now I have a few questions.

Is there a way short of replacing the GDU104x to fix the coating?

If so what have you actually done?

Also we will be replacing the MFD shortly (broken FMS knob encoder), is there an aftermarket screen protector you'd recomend?

Sadly corporal punishment of club pilots for transgressions are frowned upon ;-)

Attachments

• DE9FA2A1-34E5-448C-B939-21F64A1B130E.jpeg
    DE9FA2A1-34E5-448C-B939-21F64A1B130E.jpeg
    426.8 KB · Views: 142
I've never understood why people need to touch non touch screens. But that looks more like a cleaning material issue than a touching issue.

I've never understood why people need to touch non touch screens. But that looks more like a cleaning material issue than a touching issue.
That was my thought too.

We touch because Apple trained us to do so. :) Seriously, it took me several flights to learn to use the buttons/knobs and stop pressing the dynamic labels next to the buttons/knobs on my Avidyne panels. It's obvious that the previous owners of my airplane also had the same issue. OP's problem is compounded by multiple pilots trained by Apple. But I have no suggestions for a fix.

Upon closer inspection, I also think someone used the wrong cleaning method.

If it’s similar to a GNS anti glare coating many people end up removing the coating using armour all cleaning wipes. Since it’s partially gone I would try at this point. With it cleaned and glossy maybe a matte antiglare film could be purchased and applied.

alcohol in these wuhan flu times?

Anyway, I'd contact Garmin for suggestions...which no doubt will be expensive....
or maybe ...and this is just a brainstorming idea to research...I have no experience or knowledge if it'll work or harm..... get some XPel film and play with it. putting a film over it might hide it and protect it as well.(?)
https://www.xpel.com/shop/paint-protection-film/interior-protection

OH MY! Those are bad. I wouldn't be surprised if the fix will be replacement.

Microfiber cloths and eyeglass cleaner. Do not spray directly onto the screen. Lightly moisten cloth, not dripping.

I would remove the remainder with cotton swabs and vinegar. Then re-coat it with something like this.............
https://tinyurl.com/utf7uahn

Worse come to worse.............send it to Garmin. But your club members will still treat the airplane like trash

Back