G1000 Angel Flight

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
In a sudden turn of events, I ended up getting checked out in a Garmin G1000-equipped 172 yesterday morning and flying it 6.8 hours round trip (7.8 hours including the 1-hour checkout, 2.5 of them at night) from Texas to Salina Kansas and back for an Angel Flight mission.

Full details are on my blog (link is in my sig). What a great avionics system!! I'm hooked!

Wow...yeah...I agree! I've got a IFR cross country tonight for my night checkout/IPC in the DA40 with the G1000. Very impressive avionics.

Great story Troy, and some really good pictures.

I'm surprised you only needed a one hour checkout for the Garmin 1000. Would you feel comfortable flying IMC?

Lee

I wonder if you could fit one in the RV-7... *snickers* :D :rofl: :yes:

Nav8tor said:
Great story Troy, and some really good pictures.

I'm surprised you only needed a one hour checkout for the Garmin 1000. Would you feel comfortable flying IMC?

Lee

Yes, I would. They require an extra checkout for actual IMC use of the G1000, including shooting approaches, holds, etc.

However, the system is MUCH like a "big screen" Garmin 430/530 (which I have lots of time flying behind), with there just being "more" there. I purchased the Sporty's "Getting to know the Garmin G1000" DVD when it came out, I ordered a copy of the Garmin G1000 PC-based Simulator direct from Garmin, I've downloaded and read all the manuals and 'played' with it on the PC. Therefore I'm very familiar with the system layout for 100% of the usual stuff you'd do--in other words, I don't have to go hunting for "where is that?!", I know where it's at in the system. I even showed the instructor how to dim the display manually instead of using it's auto-adjust. He didn't know how.

That preparation, coupled with filing and flying 6.8 hours (yesterday) of IFR (4.3 in day VMC and 2.5 in night VMC) with the G1000, and having all that time at cruise to 'explore' the system, leaves me very comfortable with it. I'd RATHER fly it IMC than the old steam gauges; the workload goes WAY DOWN with this system; all the information is 'right there' where you need it and can use it.

Neat stuff... if you haven't tried it, you gotta find somwhere that has one. I'm spoiled now, looking for ways to pay for this new 'habit'. :)

inav8r said:
I wonder if you could fit one in the RV-7... *snickers* :D :rofl: :yes:

You know, since Garmin doesn't sell it to the general public (just to OEMs), I've considered trying to get one out of a salvage aircraft to put in the RV-7... but we'll see. I figure when I get to the point where I'm looking at what kind of panel to put in my plane, I'll have LOTS of choices available to pick from (and opinions, too, to filter through...).

Troy Whistman said:
However, the system is MUCH like a "big screen" Garmin 430/530 (which I have lots of time flying behind), with there just being "more" there.

I'd RATHER fly it IMC than the old steam gauges; the workload goes WAY DOWN with this system; all the information is 'right there' where you need it and can use it.

Neat stuff... if you haven't tried it, you gotta find somwhere that has one. I'm spoiled now, looking for ways to pay for this new 'habit'. :)

Troy,

Amen! I've also found the G1000 easy to use if you're familiar with the 430. Plus, it's practically like day VFR compared to regular instruments! First time I played with one (in a Frasca, alas) I did an ILS all the way to the ground. Having such a huge AI representation means that you can catch little tiny attitude excursions in your peripheral vision while you're attending to something else. Very nice.

I just recently rented a G1000-equipped 182 and put several hours on it to get more comfortable with the G1000, and I must say I'm addicted too. I'm hoping it'll be feasible for my club to get a G1000 DA40. :yes:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5397

I liked your blog entry so much, I read it twice! :yes:

flyingcheesehead said:
Troy,

Amen! I've also found the G1000 easy to use if you're familiar with the 430. Plus, it's practically like day VFR compared to regular instruments! First time I played with one (in a Frasca, alas) I did an ILS all the way to the ground. Having such a huge AI representation means that you can catch little tiny attitude excursions in your peripheral vision while you're attending to something else. Very nice.

I just recently rented a G1000-equipped 182 and put several hours on it to get more comfortable with the G1000, and I must say I'm addicted too. I'm hoping it'll be feasible for my club to get a G1000 DA40. :yes:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5397

I liked your blog entry so much, I read it twice! :yes:

Same question to you that I asked Troy. Would you be comfortable flying IMC with the amount of training/experience you've had with the 1000?

Nav8tor said:
Same question to you that I asked Troy. Would you be comfortable flying IMC with the amount of training/experience you've had with the 1000?

Total time with the G1K: 6.3 in a 182, 1.2 in a DA40, one approach and some futzing around at OSH last year in Garmin's Frasca.

Answer to the question: A definite yes. Provided your brain speaks Garmin (ie you're good with a 430/530), you really just need to train your brain on the PFD instrument representations, a process which took about 1/2 hour or so under the hood in the DA40.

The biggest thing to get used to is that there's so much information, and it's so accurate, that it's a bit overwhelming at first. You want to chase the AI because you can easily see a 1/2-degree pitch-up, for instance. The other thing is that, like all glass cockpits except the first one (Gulfstream?), the ASI tape seems backwards at first. IE, you're climbing out and you want Vy but you're already going faster than Vy. Vy is lower on the tape than the speed you're going and the natural tendency is to *push* because that's the direction your desired speed is in (Vy is below your current speed on the screen). However, you push and the plane speeds up even more, the oppposite of what you wanted.

There's kind of a progression to the addiction, I mean, uh, learning process:

First, start out with nothing on the PFD but the basics. Get used to the new representations - Stop chasing the AI, get used to the "reversed" ASI. Find the "ball" (a line that's part of the bank index arrow) and the rate-of-turn indication (a purple line and white tick marks along the top of the HSI). I didn't find the altimeter and VSI tough to get used to at all, YRMV. Finally, the HSI is basically exactly the same as a regular HSI except it's just an image on the screen. Oh, and use the transponder - It's quite simple, just press the "XPNDR" soft key at the bottom of the PFD, press "VFR" or "CODE" (and enter the code), then "BACK" to get out of the transponder settings. And BTW, like Garmin's other electronic transponders, this one will automatically turn itself on and off when you take off or land.

Next, don't add anything to the PFD, but start looking at the additional information you're presented with and some of the features that make it easier than regular instruments. For example, you now have an airspeed TREND indicator! There are trend indicators on the other instruments as well. You'll notice your flying becoming more precise because there's less guesswork involved. Get used to being able to simply push the HDG knob to set the bug to your current heading, the fact that you have an altitude bug, and other such features that make flying easier.

Now, pull your Garmin skills out and punch in a flight plan. It's exactly the same as the 430/530, press the "FPL" button and then use the FMS knob just like the knob on the 430/530. When the plan is in and activated, it will be displayed in the lower right portion of the PFD provided that you don't have something else (like NRST or ALERTS) being displayed there.

Then, you can start having fun and adding things to the PFD. You can add an inset map at the lower left; it can show things like traffic, terrain, and weather just like the MFD can but you choose these options separately from the MFD. For instance, you can put terrain on one, NEXRAD on the other, and traffic on both, the possibilities are endless. You can superimpose two RMI pointers on the HSI. Lots of options available, just don't add all of this until you're comfortable with the basics!

Finally, the MFD has a ton of options as well. They can be explored just like a 430/530 using the big FMS knob to select a page group and the small FMS knob to select individual pages. Explore the options available through the soft keys as well.

So... Being comfortable with the 430, I was able to learn all the above in 7.5 flight hours, which included a lot more than just playing with the G1000. Also, while I have a bit over 250 TT and only 7.5 G1000 time, probably 70-80 hours on instruments with only about 1-1.5 on the G1000, if I had to choose whether to go into IMC with the trusty old steam-gauge Archer that most of my instrument time is in or one of the G1000 birds, I'd take the G1000 in a heartbeat. It really is that good.

Thanks Kent and Troy for the information. You guys really have me itching to try out the G1000.

It seems to me that once you get over the initial learning curve, flying IMC with the PFD should be alot easier and safer than with the standard gauges. I would think that the PFD would present better situational awareness. Not to mention all of the other informatin that is available to pilots with the G1000.

What would worry me is a pilot that was trained for the instrument rating solely on the Garmin trying to fly IMC on standard gauges. I think it would be harder to transition backwards from PFD to gauges than from gauges to PFD.

Another question. How are the gyro's set up? Does each MFD have its own attitude gyro to provide redundancy? If so are they both vacuum driven?

Lee

Nav8tor said:
Another question. How are the gyro's set up? Does each MFD have its own attitude gyro to provide redundancy? If so are they both vacuum driven?

Ah, you must remember to think outside the box!

There are no traditional gyros. There is a box (AHRS - Attitude Heading Reference System) that has "solid state gyros" and also uses a magnetometer, air data and GPS sensors in both wingtips. There are several different failure modes depending on which components in the box have failed, but pitch and roll information is always available unless the entire box fails. One nice feature of the G1000 AHRS is that it's air-rebootable. With Avidyne, a reboot requires you to be sitting still on the ground, so if you lose it in flight you're down to just the three steam gauges.

One interesting difference between Cessna and Diamond in this regard is that Diamond uses electrically-powered backup gauges (powered by something like 40 AA batteries after you throw an emergency switch) whereas Cessna actually put a vacuum pump in solely to run the backup instruments.

Solid state gyros? Any idea how that works? Is it a ring laser gyro?

Is the "box" that contains the AHRS common to both MFDs so that a failure in the AHRS affects both?

Nav8tor said:

Is the "box" that contains the AHRS common to both MFDs so that a failure in the AHRS affects both?

Lee,

The MFD (multi-function display) in the middle doesn't display any attitude information (unless you press the Red reversionary-mode button to overcome a PFD screen failure).

Troy

Wow, thanks, Kent, very thorough. I hope to try a G1000 plane someday.

Re: G1000

Nav8tor said:

I have no idea how the gyros work. It's beyond my comprehension anyway. ;) I bet Lance Fisher could chime in on how that might work.

The AHRS is common to both MFD's, at least in Cessna's setup. It's one of the very few single points of failure in the system. However, the G1000 system is very modular and there's no reason a manufacturer couldn't put dual AHRS in. I'm not sure who does or doesn't do this.

Back