G1000 altimiter check

NC Pilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
NC Pilot
Any of you folks with the G1000's had to do an altimeter check yet? I stopped into see the friendly folks at my local Avionics shop yesterday and they were discussing the G1000 equipped plans and the fact that they were starting to come in for altimeter checks and failing. 0 for 2 so far.

The kicker is that Garmin has no way to "Calibrate" the G1000 in the field. The processor must be sent back to Garmin at $3500 a pop (the two units that did not pass were still under warranty so no charge, but will not be in two more years). Plus you have the add in the avionics techs time to re program the unit.

So, anyone else had this happen yet? Could be an expensive recirt.

hmmm does the altimeter in the glass panel have to be the one that gets calibrated? or can you just calibrate the "backup" altimeter? That should be pretty straightforward. Or are you talking about the Encoder for the transponder?

good point tony. might be cheaper to buy a backup system...

hmmm does the altimeter in the glass panel have to be the one that gets calibrated? or can you just calibrate the "backup" altimeter? That should be pretty straightforward. Or are you talking about the Encoder for the transponder?
No, the altimeter readout on the G1000. Since it is a primary indication it has to be calibrated just like the altimeter on a plane with steam guages. This is NOT the encoder for the transponder.

This has to have the same error as allowed with the altimeter steam guages (+/- 20 feet IIRC). The units being tested are coming in at +/- 30 feet.

good point tony. might be cheaper to buy a backup system...
Can't do it if you want to use the G1000 at all. What is the point of all the fancy stuff if you have to revert to the steam guages for primary indication?

I didnt realize that the calibrated altimeter had to be the one used for "primary indication" I just thought you had to have one.

not that i do much flying with multiple altimeters anyway...

Only sort of related, but I heard yesterday all of the Cessna Mustangs are grounded due to G1000 problems.

Only sort of related, but I heard yesterday all of the Cessna Mustangs are grounded due to G1000 problems.
Ken,

Any idea what the problems with the G1000 are?
I'll bet they're nothing like Eclipse is having with the Avio.

Joe

Hmmmm.... I have just started flying a new Beech Baron G58 with 2 G1000's in it. Maybe I should do a quick external comparison to make sure the altimeters are reading correctly...

Ken,

Any idea what the problems with the G1000 are?
I'll bet they're nothing like Eclipse is having with the Avio.

Joe
No. I had a flight set up (not for me, but for a writer, unfortunately) and they canceled it, giving only the briefest of explanations. It filtered to me as "integration issues". Since then, incommunicado.

There was an Eclipse jet on JAN approach frequency on Tuesday, using "experimental" in the call sign and flying to/from one of the local airports. Sounded like they were giving demo rides.

Hmmmm.... I have just started flying a new Beech Baron G58 with 2 G1000's in it. Maybe I should do a quick external comparison to make sure the altimeters are reading correctly...

WOW! That's a nice airplane. And expensive, too, over $1M!! That's expensive for a piston twin!

Do you like the Garmin autopilot? I can't wait to fly a G1000 system that has that on board. And I wish the other manufacturers would get on board with the FMS-style Garmin keypad the Columbia has. That's nifty.

TW- It is a fun little aircraft! And this thing is loaded to the gills!
TCAS, GPWS, the works! The autopilot seems to be rock steady- when it captures a heading or such, it really locks on! there is NO doubt that it is active!

The price does seem a little much for a non-turbo'd piston, but I think the owners got a deal on it, cause they bought a Premiere1 as well...

Nice to have that kind of $$$, eh?

I have met these owners, but I wouldn't call them friends, yet... They have put both of these aircraft on our 135 certificate... Thats why I get to fly the Baron... not checked out in the Premiere yet... will have to go to simuflite again for that... I'm getting tired of Simuflite... for the Premiere, i think its almost 2 weeks

Back