/G routing request

bnunn

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bob
I am new to using 430/530's and was flying Westbound near KGLE when ATC issued me the following request.

"Nxxx" is cleared to a point 10 DME on the UKW 170 degree radial, then Direct LLO"

My flight plan from KGYI was Direct UKW V161 LLO destination T82.

I understood what he was doing. He was actually helping me to cut the corner and save me the time of flying all the way to Bowie VOR (UKW). Would have been a piece of cake had I been at Bowie. However, after fumbling around for about five minutes trying to figure out how to set that waypoint, I humbly asked for a heading from ATC.

Of course, as soon as I got back home, I couldn't wait to fire up the 530 simulator and figure it out. I did. Can you? Or is this just showing up my inexperience on the 430/530?

On the GNS430/530, go direct UKW, and OBS it for 350º (UKW R-170). Once you're on the radial, you could either identify the point 10 miles from the VOR by remaining distance displayed on the GPS, or you can create a user waypoint with the radial and DME.

On the GNS430/530, go direct UKW, and OBS it for 350º (UKW R-170). Once you're on the radial, you could either identify the point 10 miles from the VOR by remaining distance displayed on the GPS, or you can create a user waypoint with the radial and DME.
I think you would need to do the latter and go direct to that user defined waypoint, because you weren't cleared to the VOR, you were cleared to a point 10 south of it, and you're headed westbound. You can't do a direct to of the cursor, can you?

You can do a "direct-to" of the cursor position, though I think the more correct approach would be the creation of a user waypoint.

I think the easiest way to do this is just to hit the cursor button on the map page to go into "pan mode", then click enter (anywhere on the map, it doesn't matter), then enter the VOR/RAD/DME and create the waypoint. Once you've done that, you can insert that waypoint into the flight plan by name.

And if you can do this in less than 2 minutes, you're better at it than I am. The "really, really correct" answer is probably "don't be a hero, and just ask for a vector", or at least to ensure that you ask for a vector to fly while you're poking at the screen.
-harry

I can't remember off-hand (haven't flown in a couple of months now), but if you press "Direct To:", is there an option on the "enter waypoint" screen that allows you to create a new User Waypoint from there?

Of course, the only problem with doing this is that it would flush your previously entered flight plan and replace it with a "Direct To: YourWaypoint".

I think you would need to do the latter and go direct to that user defined waypoint, because you weren't cleared to the VOR, you were cleared to a point 10 south of it, and you're headed westbound. You can't do a direct to of the cursor, can you?

Woops, I read the original post quickly and skipped over the fine details (headed westbound). I had assumed you were already south of UKW, and just needed to intercept the R-170 to the 10 DME before turning to LLO.

In this case, I agree the only way to do it is via a user waypoint.

Actually, the best way is to assign it as a task for the FO to accomplish, after getting a heading (or approximating one). :yes:

Wow SPEED. That is impressive. I wonder if Garmin has thought about that feature.

OK, here is what I discovered. Still not sure if it's the easiest. But, it's pretty fast.

1. From the map page, press MENU and select MEASURE DISTANCE <ENTER>
  2. Move the cursor to UKW, then press <ENTER>. (the measure values reset to zeros)
  3. Move the cursor until it reads 170 degrees and 10 miles, then press DIRECT.
  4. +MAP appears, press <ENTER> twice. Your new course to this waypoint appears.
Upon arrival at the new waypoint, press FPL, highlight LLO, press DIRECT, then <ENTER> twice. It picks back up your active flight plan.

Doesn't sound near as easy as Speed's plan, but it works.

Wow SPEED. That is impressive. I wonder if Garmin has thought about that feature.

OK, here is what I discovered. Still not sure if it's the easiest. But, it's pretty fast.
  1. From the map page, press MENU and select MEASURE DISTANCE <ENTER>
  2. Move the cursor to UKW, then press <ENTER>. (the measure values reset to zeros)
  3. Move the cursor until it reads 170 degrees and 10 miles, then press DIRECT.
  4. +MAP appears, press <ENTER> twice. Your new course to this waypoint appears.
Upon arrival at the new waypoint, press FPL, highlight LLO, press DIRECT, then <ENTER> twice. It picks back up your active flight plan.

Doesn't sound near as easy as Speed's plan, but it works.

ATC is theoretically supposed to precede the clearance with "when able." If they're clearing you to some non-existent point in space, they should be pretty understanding that you'll need a minute. Personally, I would go the last page on the WPT menu (user waypoints), enter UKW10, UKW 170.0, 10.0, enter enter. All you have to do now is add that fix to the flight plan and activate UKW10 as the active leg. That way the fix is automatically sequenced into the flight plan so you don't have to fiddle with it later.

Thanks Jason.

Actually, ATC did precede the clearance, with something like, "Do you know how to use waypoints?". The fact that I accepted the clearance was only because I was VMC with light traffic and bored.

By the way. Thank you for the alternate method of reaching the waypoint. I'll practice that one too.

Last edited:
This thread makes me glad I have Collins... Takes about 10 seconds. Type "UKW170/-10" and go to it. If you want to get fancy, "UKW170/-10/JOKER" and give your user fix a name. :-]
Honeywell does it UKW/170/10, and it gives it it's own name, I think, I am just learning. :)

On previous airplanes I have flown that would have required an incredible amount of knob turning and I would have asked for a heading...

Smiths would be UKW170/10, and it would just call it UKW01. Jason's method a few posts above is probably the best way to do it in a GARMIN.

Why not just dial in the radial using the OBS function, then turn to your VOR waypoint page and watch the numbers climb up to 10? Seems to me to be the easiest way.

Why not just dial in the radial using the OBS function, then turn to your VOR waypoint page and watch the numbers climb up to 10? Seems to me to be the easiest way.
How are you determining what heading to fly? Are you assuming that we're flying to the VOR, and _then_ to the 10 DME point?
-harry

You're not already established on the UKW R-170, you're somewhere east of it. You need to be able to identify and fly direct to the UKW170010 from present position, so a user defined waypoint is really the easiest way to accomplish this.

Works if you're flying the radial, but you're west of the VOR and cleared direct to the 170/10, you aren't going to be going to the VOR.

A function that's often overlooked is the CRS function of the Direct-To page. It doesn't apply to the situation presented here, but in light of the discussion above - instead of using the OBS mode, you could also go direct VOR and select the appropriate course on the Direct-To page. This would allow you to intercept and track the radial as well as see the DME readout.

-Felix

Oops, I misunderstood. That's a pretty annoying clearance. I would probably just refuse.

Sad thing is that the 30 year old VOR RNAV unit I used to have would have made this incredibly easy. Tune the VOR, and set the DME. 10 seconds. Sometimes, technology makes things more difficult.

We actually got a VERY similar clearence today - "Proceed direct to the point 37DME on the BOS 082 radial, hold as published..."

It was easy for us to know how to respond. "Unable. We can intercept the 082, if you like." Sometimes /A is nice, no buttons to worry about :).

Being a brand new member, this was my first post on this forum. Thanks everyone for a lively discussion. It was informative and interesting to read everyone's input and approach to this ATC request that popped up. Rather than just blowing them off, it created a challenge to me to dig a bit deeper and learn more. Thanks to you guys for sharing your knowledge and experience. Hopefully, it makes me a little better pilot.

Bob Nunn
2003 Cherokee 6X
Garmin 330/430/530/396
Stec-55X
XM Weather

Last edited:
Being a brand new member, this was my first post on this forum. Thanks everyone for a lively discussion.
Welcome Bob. If it's one thing you can expect from us, it's a lively discussion. :) And lots of opinions. :D

Well, I'm not only new to this forum, but new to all the Garmin stuff that's stuffed into this plane. I've only been a renter up until a couple of months ago. I have about 800 total hours and have carried an instrument rating for many years. Being the computer geek that I am, having all this WAAS enabled equipment, weather, traffic, /G ability is amazing. I love it and am hungry to learn.

Back