G-164 Ag-Cat - need some help

Nandor Talas

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
HUNCat
Well, not the most elegant first post...

tl;dr: I'd appreciate Ag-Cat docs

We operate a Grumman Ag-Cat with a Pzl3S engine. The drawback is, that we could get only the old P&W version's manual in English. However, the Pzl engine was exported to the USA for the Ag-Cat and DHC-2 when the P&W engines were discontinued.

My question is, does any of you happen to have the newer Pzl version's flight manual? Even the Beaver's would do the trick, because I could get some info from over the web.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Might be tough to find here. As far as I know, all the Ag-Cats in the US are still running with P&Ws. Still plenty of support for those engines here.

A lot of them are running Garrets. My friend converted three of his a few years ago.

I think you're correct. Doesn't help that PZL made both radials and turbines just like P&W. The only big radial that PZL made was the copy of the Wright 1820 and I don't think I have seen any AG Cats with that engine.

Might be tough to find here. As far as I know, all the Ag-Cats in the US are still running with P&Ws. Still plenty of support for those engines here.

To be honest, I'd be happier with a P&W engine, but PZL parts are definitely more accessible around here. I don't know how many PZL engines were brought over to America, I can only refer to what I read and heard.

I could be wrong, but I think he was referring to just radial engines.

Indeed, I was referring to the PZL-3S radial with a US-132000 4-bladed propeller.

To be honest, we have model manuals in Serbian, but I don't speak it, and it would be much simpler to translate the English documentation myself than to get somebody who speaks Serbian and has a clue about aviation.

For what it’s worth, I’ve never seen a PZL converted Ag Cat. I’ve seen a couple of converted Beavers but if I remember right they were Canadian registered.

Is this airplane N registered?

Were these conversions done in the US via an STC or field approval? If STC, who owns the STC now? Does anyone support it?

You might actually be in a better place than anyone here in the US to find the paperwork you’re looking for, since it sounds like they’re more plentiful there than here.

The only engines I’ve seen on Ag Cats here are 450 or 600 P&W radials, or turbine conversions.

This may seem a little obvious, but have you attempted to contact PZL? They are still in business. I believe the engine division is currently owned by Pratt & Whitney.

Hi Nandor, I operate a HA- registered PZL powered Cat at Germany. I am also interested in getting manuals in case EASA runs wild. As far as I am informed, FAA never issued special operation manuals for the PZL conversion. Instead, performance data of the R-1340 version were used, and operation manual of the PZL added. If you have Serbian manuals, it might be a proper plan B to have them translated. I'd offer share of expenses. Regards

Last edited:
Back