G-1000 Simulator or Learning Tools

Flying Viking

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flying Viking
Greetings PoA-ers...long time lurker, first time poster. I'm a relatively newbie PPL, 10 months, about 150 hours all in the Skylane. I was planning to get checked out in the Diamond DA-40 with the G1000 avionics, and to minimize instructor time and cost I wanted to do as much preparation as possible on the system before getting started on the actual instruction.

To that end, what would be the best study materials/software for this? Garmin sells an instructional DVD, there are a few iPad apps and software packages out there...have you guys (and gals) used any of that for yourself or your students? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

You can find many good videos on youtube, that's true. I find them good supplemental information.

I think the most cost effective way to learn G1000 in-depth is first to grab the truly excellent book by Max Trescott 'G1000 Glass Cockpit Handbook' and then for a mere $30 purchase a G1000 trainer from Garmin (you need a good PC for that). Both pieces will cost you about $70 total with shipping. For example for Diamond DA-40 I would be buying this:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/pc-trainers-diamond/g1000-pc-trainer-for-diamond-da-40-f-ver-12-00/prod107669_010-10714-02.html

I think any material out there should be viewed only as a reference/addition to the trainer - I found the trainer to be the absolute essential study tool (but Trescott's book also an essential companion).

Last edited:

When I planned to get checked out in a G1000 equipped airplane I watched the above link, and when it came to the check out I had some reasonable idea what the CFI was pointing out on the panel. I now have around 30 hours flying the G1000 I still don't know all the features but completely comfortable with what I utilise for my trips.

I agree with getting the good training materials mentioned above (especially Max Trescott's products, which several of my IR trainees have found very useful) and learning from them. The G1000 simulator from Garmin is not a training system. It is certainly a very useful aid to training in the hands of a good instructor, but it won't teach you anything by itself.

but it won't teach you anything by itself.
Trescott's book teaches, the trainer lets you practice what you read in the book. I certainly did not need any instructor to sit by my side.

Trescott's book teaches, the trainer lets you practice what you read in the book. I certainly did not need any instructor to sit by my side.
Then I guess you agree with me that it's not an "either/or" choice between the training materials and the sim. IOW, I'm not saying not to get the sim, but if you're only going to get one, get the training materials.

I used ground power (a Startpac 53025-24v) to practice using the G1000 and exploring it's many features while on the ground. Quite a few functions are just easier and less distracting to play with here than in the air.
Since I'm an engineer, I have no trouble with the manuals. But I really got a lot out of operating the actual unit and searching around all the pages without having to fly the plane at the same time.

there are a few iPad apps and software packages out there...have you guys (and gals) used any of that for yourself or your students?
Just for your info in case you were looking to get one of those G1000 for Ipad 'simulators' - perhaps they offer a decent rendition of G1000 but they certainly leave a lot to be desired regarding the advanced features of this product. For VFR-only flights they could be good enough.

Then I guess you agree with me that it's not an "either/or" choice between the training materials and the sim
Yes, I agree.

Last edited:
Tell you what, Flying Viking, PM me and I'll set you up with free access at www.Garmin1000.com. Give it a try and report back here. If you don't like it, I'll pay you $39 for trying it. It covers systems and LRUs, failures, flight planning, GFC700 flight director/autopilot, and is comprised of seven multimedia lessons, animated and narrated.

Learn by being good at what you need.
Flight instruments
Radios
Setting the transponder.
How to use the lean
Direct to
Map screen
What the red button does.

You can get the simulator from Garmin.
Then learn the rest of the stuff.
It is kind of like learning to fly again. It is a little harder on the scan due to you have to translate what the numbers mean. Vs. just see that the needle is where it is supposed to be.
You will start seeing cool things like the V speeds on the side of the tape. You will probably learn something new each time you fly it.

IF you are a used your computer at work, it is easy to stare at the screen and forget to look outside.

Jeppesen G1000 App on the Ipad helped me the most. I still reference it and find it helpful at times 180 hours into my G1000 experience so far.

Garmin has a simulator (not free like the 400-series, but it's not very expensive).

I find that you spend your time on that simulator managing the sim almost as much as procedures. "Turning" knobs on it is substantially less convenient than the real device, and using the arrow keys is fast but different.

CAP has a few PowerPoint presentations, two for VFR, two for IFR. Google them; they are publicly available. They are basically clones of Cessna material, and they probably aren't the best. I used them because I had to. They do describe the color coding, which is quite helpful.

Nothing I've come across lists the bust buttons. The CDI button being set incorrectly during an ILS approach is well known for busting an instrument check ride. I found the Class B bust button on my own. If you're using VNAV, you must set the altitude bug for everything. Yes, that means setting altitude twice. If you don't, the higher one wins and the AP may not descend like you expect, even though VNAV is engaged and active.

For basic VFR flight, there isn't THAT much to it, aside from the sophisticated autopilot/flight director (except, not so sophisticated that it keeps you anywhere near coordinated on turns -- no rudder control). You don't have to use the autopilot (IMO, it takes the fun out of it, unless you have something else to do), and you can also use the more basic modes like the wing leveler.

Last edited:
A big thanks to everybody for your suggestions. Sounds like Trescott's book plus the Garmin simulator software will be a good start (the PC is top notch - I built it less than two months ago).

Initially this will be basic VFR flights where I can learn the system a little at the time. IR training is planned for mid-2015, by then hopefully I'll have 50-75 hours of G-1000 time and some decent knowledge of the system.

Tell you what, Flying Viking, PM me and I'll set you up with free access at www.Garmin1000.com. Give it a try and report back here. If you don't like it, I'll pay you $39 for trying it. It covers systems and LRUs, failures, flight planning, GFC700 flight director/autopilot, and is comprised of seven multimedia lessons, animated and narrated.

That's a deal you can't beat.

Just PM'd you...

"Turning" knobs on it is substantially less convenient than the real device
True, but I don't find it very problematic, I adjusted quickly. That's the price you pay for having the exact replica of G1000 running on your PC in your bedroom versus paying some stiff hourly fees for using a real G1000 FTD somewhere else.

Also I use the trainer for Cirrus SR20/22 - these come with the simulated data entry keypad so knob turning is essentially eliminated.

Last edited:
Back