Fwd slip to stall

We did a slipping stall in the Super Decathlon this morning. Power off, stick all the way back, full left rudder, and right aileron to hold the ground track in order to simulate a stall on approach in a forward slip. Held this way in the stall for several seconds, descending at almost 2000 ft/min, it was completely stable with absolutely no tendency to spin.
Like many airplanes, your Super D might not have sufficient elevator authority to stall the wing in an aggressive slip. Did you experience solid indications of a stall (nose drop and/or porpoise) or was the plane just "mushing"?

Like many airplanes, your Super D might not have sufficient elevator authority to stall the wing in an aggressive slip. Did you experience solid indications of a stall (nose drop and/or porpoise) or was the plane just "mushing"?

I could feel the turbulent air hitting the tail the entire time. It wasn't doing much in pitch and roll, nothing like the power-aggravated falling leafs that I did earlier in the flight (got a few knife edge rolls there). So I don't know.

Back