FW vs RW..need advice

badtransam97

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
badtransam97
I was hoping to get some opinions from you guys. I currently have my commercial se, private muli, and instrument. I have been trying to decide if I want to keep pursuing FW for a career, or switch to RW. I know the markets in both are tough right now for hiring, but I believe that RW would be a more "stable" work environment, such as little to no furlougs(EMS level anyway), alot of jobs are home every night, alot have set schedules, etc.. I have always enjoyed RW(my dad was prvt. rw pilot), but a part of me feels like I'd be making a mistake by going that route. I know some are very lucky and find work doing both, but I figure thats highly unlikely for most people. I think sometimes I'd miss flying up high in a FW, throught the soup, but just not sure. So I guess the reason Im posting this is, if given the choice, which one would you pick based on stabililty of employment, pay, enjoyment, QOL, etc..??

I was hoping to get some opinions from you guys. I currently have my commercial se, private muli, and instrument. I have been trying to decide if I want to keep pursuing FW for a career, or switch to RW. I know the markets in both are tough right now for hiring, but I believe that RW would be a more "stable" work environment, such as little to no furlougs(EMS level anyway), alot of jobs are home every night, alot have set schedules, etc.. I have always enjoyed RW(my dad was prvt. rw pilot), but a part of me feels like I'd be making a mistake by going that route. I know some are very lucky and find work doing both, but I figure thats highly unlikely for most people. I think sometimes I'd miss flying up high in a FW, throught the soup, but just not sure. So I guess the reason Im posting this is, if given the choice, which one would you pick based on stabililty of employment, pay, enjoyment, QOL, etc..??

Any job is what you make of it and they all have their pluses and minuses.

Rotor Wing is tough to break into with less than a 1000 hours unless you are looking at tours and instructing. EMS won't look at you unless you have 1500 hours minimum (and that's only a few companies) and also an instrument rating. The GOM will take lower time guys as SIC's but that too is a cyclical environment.

RW flying versus FW are two entirely different worlds. Ask lots of questions and try to determine which one suits your goals.

Home every night sleeping in your camper.

I really hate saying this, but I couldn't in good conscience recommend to anyone fllying as a career:(.
I retired after 50 + years flying FW and RW military first then corporate. My wife of 44 years is still with me because we saw each other so rarely:eek:. For the last 30 years of my career I averaged 150 overnights a year.

Why did I continue doing it? I guess you would have to be a pilot to understand, it is the flying that drives everything. If one day you wake up and the drive to fly is gone the rest of it is sh!!t. I never lost my love of the flying part and I was willing to sacrifice an ordinary life for it. I really was ready to retire. Now I can fly my Citabria and J3 and just fly for fun.

By the time you have put in enough time and money to land a decent job in aviation you could have finished medical or law school, built a profitable life and bought a small FW or RW to play with to satisfy the urge to fly.

All that being said, the choice between FW and RW will have to be a personal one. The time building jobs are easier to get in FW I believe. The insurance industry does not like low time RW pilots.

I would suggest talking to some working pilots on both sides of the fence, visit some of the RW EMS operations and flight schools and ask the pilots some questions. The same with the FW charter, freight, instructors, etc. and ask them as well. Call a good insurance agent and ask some questions also.

Most of all, good luck and I hope things work out for you.

Back