Future Student - Flight Frequency Advice Needed

clawz

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn P
Afternoon all,

Future student pilot here (getting my medical done next week, been busy with work and getting records together) and I have a question on training frequency.

As of right now I have a bit over half of what I will need to get my PPL based on an estimate of 50 hours before my check ride. I have finances settled and figured out to allow for 4 or so lessons per month after that initial money has been run through. This leaves me in a weird spot in regards to lesson planning. Should I go ahead and run through the cash I have flying as much as possible then cut back to once a week (or more if able, playing it safe since I have a family to take care of) or should I spread it out?

Options I am looking at now;

1. Fly 3-4 times a week for the first month then taper back to once or twice a week until finished. This could potentially get me into the solo stage and I could pick up the pace due to reduced costs of soloing.

2. Fly twice a week until the initial funds run out and then taper back.

3. Stay consistent and just fly the once a week and possibly pick up a flight here and there when coming up to major milestones.

I have read numerous comments online to fly as much as financially possible every week but alas, this is the real world and I do not have unlimited funding. I also would prefer to not pull out a loan or anything to fund this at this point, considering that a last resort. With the way I have everything planned I will be building up the remaining funds while burning through what I have currently saved.

I am *hoping* to be done closer to the 40 hour mark. CFI I have chosen says I could already pass ground school without much studying with the knowledge I already have and thinks I will take to the skies like a fish does to water after the intro flight.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Wait until 65-75% funded (figure 50-55hrs needed to complete for conservancy), then do 2-3 lessons a week, while doing what's needed to replace the consumed funds.

Look into finding club arrangements (versus pilot mills) to keep the training costs down and gain access to decent aircraft when you are done.

Establish a good vibe/groove with the instructor so there is minimal waste of time, but maximum utility of information transferance.

PS. Where are you?

Last edited:
What length of lesson have you been planning for in your calculations? IMO an hour is too short, around 1.6 hrs works well. Bear in mind that at 1 lesson per week your learning efficiency *will* be degraded compared to twice or more per week. And expect that 25% or more of lessons will be cancelled due to weather (depending on your location), winds or mechanical problems. Solo work is particularly susceptible to wind cancellation.

If you are *actually* flying twice or more per week, and you have decent aptitude and are a reasonably quick learner, you should be solo in less than 15 hours.

Tucson, and it is pretty slim picking from what I have found flight school wise. Prices range anywhere from $98 (172 wet) + $40 (instructor) per hour for a part 61 to $160 (172 wet) + $60 (instructor) at every place I have called and/or visited. Went through the entire gamut of schools I could find on the internet and the phone and none of them seem "ideal" (see below).

CFI I mention above is my top pick at the moment but the email response I just got back from a couple questions I sent over is kind of sketchy. Sent over some basic follow up questions pertaining to the average length of a scheduled lesson and such and all it said was the hourly rate and nothing else. Seems to avoid answering certain direct questions which you would think they would do when students are few and far between at the moment.

Side note, 172 is going to be a must as I am 6'4", 250lbs and wide shouldered... I can get into a 150 uncomfortably and the CFI was like yup, we will not both fit in there lol.

Last edited:
What Mike said. Especially if you are older.

I found that less than twice a week only held my learning at a fixed level. Three times is probably optimal.

What length of lesson have you been planning for in your calculations? IMO an hour is too short, around 1.6 hrs works well. Bear in mind that at 1 lesson per week your learning efficiency *will* be degraded compared to twice or more per week. And expect that 25% or more of lessons will be cancelled due to weather (depending on your location), winds or mechanical problems. Solo work is particularly susceptible to wind cancellation.

If you are *actually* flying twice or more per week, and you have decent aptitude and are a reasonably quick learner, you should be solo in less than 15 hours.

Fortunately I am on both counts. Wife hates it as I seem to pick up new skills in the blink of an eye and in her words have a "computer for a mind that includes photogenic memory".

I am hopeful on the 40 hours but realize that could all go out the window due to any number of things, including my personal abilities. Will not know until I get up in the air on anything more then a discovery flight.

Afternoon all,

Future student pilot here (getting my medical done next week, been busy with work and getting records together) and I have a question on training frequency.

As of right now I have a bit over half of what I will need to get my PPL based on an estimate of 50 hours before my check ride. I have finances settled and figured out to allow for 4 or so lessons per month after that initial money has been run through. This leaves me in a weird spot in regards to lesson planning. Should I go ahead and run through the cash I have flying as much as possible then cut back to once a week (or more if able, playing it safe since I have a family to take care of) or should I spread it out?

Options I am looking at now;

1. Fly 3-4 times a week for the first month then taper back to once or twice a week until finished. This could potentially get me into the solo stage and I could pick up the pace due to reduced costs of soloing.

2. Fly twice a week until the initial funds run out and then taper back.

3. Stay consistent and just fly the once a week and possibly pick up a flight here and there when coming up to major milestones.

I have read numerous comments online to fly as much as financially possible every week but alas, this is the real world and I do not have unlimited funding. I also would prefer to not pull out a loan or anything to fund this at this point, considering that a last resort. With the way I have everything planned I will be building up the remaining funds while burning through what I have currently saved.

I am *hoping* to be done closer to the 40 hour mark. CFI I have chosen says I could already pass ground school without much studying with the knowledge I already have and thinks I will take to the skies like a fish does to water after the intro flight.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I did my PPL in 52 hours and I was flying 3 to 4 times a week weather permitting (started in the Spring). I don't know what the national average is, but I can guarantee you that for every pilot that got their PPL around 40 hours, there were a lot more that took over 50.

I saved my funds before I began based on the advice of a friend who was an instrument rated commercial pilot. He said the frequency of training would make it doable sooner. I met a lot of students while I was going through my training and kept in touch with them. There were a few of them that could only fly once a week. Most of them were in the 60 hour range when they completed theirs.

I would find out what the national average is and base it on that. We all think we are that good, but when you get into some of the more advanced skills, you may encounter something that will take you longer to grasp. It is hard to say if you are a Jimmy Doolittle, but if you aren't, you will need more time and money to complete.

Ahhh.. Your one of those good looking memory types...;)

What Mike said. Especially if you are older.

I found that less than twice a week only held my learning at a fixed level. Three times is probably optimal.

Turning 30 this year...

Was told at a young age I could never be a pilot due to failing the Ishihara test in a dark room with flourescent lights that had bad ballasts and would flicker constantly. Turned away from aviation after that until this a recent flight with a co-worker.

We got up in the air and he could tell I had the bug as the rush I felt any time I went to an airshow, built a new model, etc as a kid came back. He inquired if I ever thought about getting my license and after I told the story above he informed me that I was essentially lied too and there were various avenues I could pursue.

Turned everything upside down and now I am bound and determined to get my license after missing out of 15+ years of a lifelong dream.

Wife and daughter are on board for the long haul and are helping out however they can as well. My daughter even gives me pop quizzes out of my ground school books at random right now.

My dream as a father is to take her up for her first ever air plane ride as my first passenger after my check ride.

The more you can put into the training bank before you start, the less you'll stress over having enough to finish. I've advised others to have at least $5000 minimum, push for $8000, and become comfortable with the fact that you are about to "blow it all" on something that is recreational in nature and irrational to do.

Very few of us have a hard and fast need to fly (as in we don't need it for primary transport), so this is something we do for fun. It is a want, not a need. So if the long term financials can do without the $6-8k your about to burn through, go for it. If not, turn the conservative knob to a higher setting.

Also make sure your other personal budget items are well covered. The more out of, or completely out of, consumer debt you are the better. How about future savings obligations?

This post is meant to inject some sanity into the desire to fly so that you won't have the other realities of life pulling you down and grounding you after you have already burned through a considerable and unrecoverable sum.

P.S. in your figuring, add $800-1000-ish to the figure for supplies, testing, book purchase and all of the errata students need and will spend on gadgetry. Just figuring plane rental plus instructor times 50 hrs is a start, but there is always another $50-$100 something you just gotta have.

I agree completely. Have run the numbers on more then one occasion and included things such as the written exam fee, ground school, headset, check ride fee, medical, etc. Sure there are probably things I have missed but I included some overheard for just that.

As mentioned above, this all kind of came out of the blue and just happened to coincide with our tax return coming in which gave the funds a bump.

Family has and always will come first, flight school second. I would not even be considering starting now if I wasn't sure it would not affect the ability to take care of them :)

Flying will actually be a benefit to me with work as it will greatly reduce my travel time by vehicle and even commercial airlines due to Tucson not being a major hub for anyone. Less time traveling for work means more time with the family.

Turning 30 this year...

Was told at a young age I could never be a pilot due to failing the Ishihara test in a dark room with flourescent lights that had bad ballasts and would flicker constantly. Turned away from aviation after that until this a recent flight with a co-worker.

Have you practiced with the Ishihara plates recently? It is not absolutely the end of the world if you fail them with the AME but it is a major pain in the ass. Might be worth finding a library with a copy of the book and practicing some before your medical.

Had my optometrist run me through it again and I was "borderline" according to him. Found an AME in Phoenix that has the gamut of tests that the FAA allows and have an appointment to get a color consult through him before my medical. From the sample plates of the Dvorine test I found online (not the best way but cannot find it anywhere BUT this AME) I had a much much easier time with it.

Also did an unofficial run through of the light signal test with my buddy after the flight as he knew some of the tower operators. Identified correctly every time.

And are you absolutely beyond 100% sure you're going to pass the medical with no speed bumps? You mentioned color deficiency in the past. What about the other items covered in Question 18?

According to Dr. Bruce and another AME I should be good to go, just need to have my records in order.

My only concern is the color vision section but again, I can pass the light signal test in the absolute worst case scenario.

Cool beans. Sounds like you have your ducks in a row. Good luck!

Wait until 65-75% funded (figure 50-55hrs needed to complete for conservancy), then do 2-3 lessons a week, while doing what's needed to replace the consumed funds.

Look into finding club arrangements (versus pilot mills) to keep the training costs down and gain access to decent aircraft when you are done.

Establish a good vibe/groove with the instructor so there is minimal waste of time, but maximum utility of information transferance.

PS. Where are you?

2nd that thats what i am doing.

Ryan Field (KRYN) just west of Tucson unless I decide to change CFI's due to the above mentioned sketchyness in some email correspondence.

On that note if anyone knows a good flight school or private CFI in the area let me know.

Last edited:
Nothing to add here except that it sounds like you've got your head screwed on straight, are being proactive with the medical, and are being realistic. Go for it! :yes:

There's no magic formula that will fit every trainee, but I will tell you that no matter how carefully you plan, and how diligent you are making sure you have the time and the money.... weather, maintenance issues, or flight school scheduling screwups will ruin everything on a regular basis. :D And oh yeah, it sounds like you have a life of some kind... that will interfere, too.
But this is a very important part of the training- patience is a worthy virtue for any pilot.

There's no magic formula that will fit every trainee, but I will tell you that no matter how carefully you plan, and how diligent you are making sure you have the time and the money.... weather, maintenance issues, or flight school scheduling screwups will ruin everything on a regular basis. :D And oh yeah, it sounds like you have a life of some kind... that will interfere, too.
But this is a very important part of the training- patience is a worthy virtue for any pilot.

And let's not forget about those CFIs who go on to charter jobs and leave you.

If you fail the color blindness test you can still get a PPL. You'd just be restricted fom flying at night.
I'd say fly 3Xweek till you solo, then taper off to twice a week or even once a week if you really have to. Then the week before your checkride fly 4 times that week.
As for supplies, look for a used headset. Later on, save that one for your passenger and buy a better, new one for yourself. If you won't be carrying a 3rd passenger very often, some FBO's rent them for just a few bucks. At my airport, some pilots sell stuents their old headsets as they upgrade to new ones
Watch segments of training videos for free on youtube - there are samples of Sporty's, King Schools, mZeroA and others.
Arrive early - and prepared - for each lesson. Use the time efficently. When studying at home make note of any questions so you'll remember to ask your instructor. If possible, do your preflight before the instructor arrives, so that when he does arrive and start charging for his time you can begin the lesson. Usually by the 3rd lesson the student is able to preflight on his own; no sense doing it on the instructor's time, paying him to stand there.
In between lessons, sit in a chair at home and pretend to fly. Concentrate and replay your last lesson in your mind.
Later in your training, before each solo flight, before starting the engine, "practice" emergency procedures by saying the steps aloud and touching the controls. For example engine out. Hold/move yoke as if to pitch for 68kts, pretend to look for a suitable field, touch the fuel selector knob then the fuel cutoff knob and so on, then touch the transponder as if to squawk 121.5, speak your mayday call etc etc. Then when your instructor has you do it in flight you won't be wasting Hobbs time fumbling thru it.

Ryan Field (KRYN) just west of Tucson unless I decide to change CFI's due to the above mentioned sketchyness in some email correspondence.

On that note if anyone knows a good flight school or private CFI in the area let me know.

I'm guessing you wouldn't be willing to make the drive from Tucson up to Chandler. Kchd has a wonderful flight school. Though I know a guy from another forum who just finished his ppl at KRYN and had no complaints.

DogDaddy said:
...touch the transponder as if to squawk 121.5...
now this I'd like to see in person [tease]

Oops! hehehe
That's what I get for staying up so late and thinking of 2 different tasks at the same time.
We are taught to squawk 7700 and to announce mayday on frequency 121.5, so for our checkride we simulate that. But in a real life emergency if you're on a frequency for Tower, Approach, or Departure, and are already squawking an assigned code rather than 1200, (such as in Class B or C), or if you're on FF, then announce your mayday or panpan on your current frequency and squawk code since they already know who/where you are. They're not going to tell you, "squawk 7700 and ident..." lol

Wise man said, train as much as you can fly. Don't go broke fast and make your training environment reflective of your real world experience. I found working on ground school/study to fill in the between airtime pace sets a good mindset to keep current in my real world pace.

I knew a few accelerated pilots who went broke fast only to have huge gaps in their flying later who in the end never do anything but fly the same pattern they trained in anyway :)

Last edited:
Back