Future employers and medical history

P

Pilot12793

Hi everyone my goal is to fly corporate and maybe someday get to the airlines. About 6 years ago I underwent some treatment for anxiety/depression I disclosed this with the FAA years ago and have been cleared to fly, I’ve been flying for the past 3 years trying to get to the 1500hr mark. In my medical application in section 18 I have checked yes for mental disorders and substance abuse due to marijuana use years ago. Will aviation employers see my medical application and see those checked boxes? Will it be harder for me to get hired? I have a clean record no felonies or any arrests, duis etc.. just 1 speeding ticket. I’ve heard many airline pilots flying with DUIs in their record so I’m guessing my history shouldn’t be a problem.

Employers will not see your 8500 (your completed medexpress application). How you answer per-employment questions when applying for jobs will be up to you.

Hi everyone my goal is to fly corporate and maybe someday get to the airlines. About 6 years ago I underwent some treatment for anxiety/depression I disclosed this with the FAA years ago and have been cleared to fly, I’ve been flying for the past 3 years trying to get to the 1500hr mark. In my medical application in section 18 I have checked yes for mental disorders and substance abuse due to marijuana use years ago. Will aviation employers see my medical application and see those checked boxes? Will it be harder for me to get hired? I have a clean record no felonies or any arrests, duis etc.. just 1 speeding ticket. I’ve heard many airline pilots flying with DUIs in their record so I’m guessing my history shouldn’t be a problem.
Substance abuse only has to be reported for two years. How many years ago if you've been flying for three years?

Substance abuse only has to be reported for two years. How many years ago if you've been flying for three years?
This happened in 2015 I thought I still had to check yes forever even though it has been more than 2 years. Section 18 says ever “had” so my guess would be yes forever on every 8500. Am I wrong? The FAA also sent me a letter in 2015 for substance abuse so wouldn’t not checking yes be falsifying the form?

This happened in 2015 I thought I still had to check yes forever even though it has been more than 2 years. Section 18 says ever “had” so my guess would be yes forever on every 8500. Am I wrong? The FAA also sent me a letter in 2015 for substance abuse so wouldn’t not checking yes be falsifying the form?

You check yes and in the comments state previously reported, no change on every medical application going forward.

Employers don’t have access to your MedXpress application.

Substance abuse or use of an illegal substance is qualified to the last two years. In contrast to alcohol abuse.

Screenshot_20220813-220334.png

I know that, so what are you trying to say? Every other comment here says I check yes forever. Are you saying I don’t check yes?
You should check "yes" if "yes" is the correct answer to the question that is asked. You should not check "yes" because someone told you to check "yes."

You should check "yes" if "yes" is the correct answer to the question that is asked. You should not check "yes" because someone told you to check "yes."
dependence or a failed drug test is forever, abuse or use in the last two years is a different item. for the OP it will depend of what the FAA determined when they issued his SI. If they determined that his use was dependancy, then he has to answer it yes forever. so the real answer can only be determined by him, the FAA, and his AME.

dependence or a failed drug test is forever, abuse or use in the last two years is a different item. for the OP it will depend of what the FAA determined when they issued his SI. If they determined that his use was dependancy, then he has to answer it yes forever. so the real answer can only be determined by him, the FAA, and his AME.

Can you clarify this from the FAA FAQs then?

7. Must the airman continue to mark “yes” on all subsequent exams?
Yes. If the airman has reported the event to the FAA, they must continue to report it on ALL subsequent 8500-8 applications. This applies even when the FAA has reviewed documentation and sent the airman a letter saying no further monitoring or information is needed for that event.
If the applicant/airman documented the information on previous exams AND there are no new arrest(s), conviction(s), and/or administrative action(s) since the last application, the Applicant may enter PREVIOUSLY REPORTED, NO CHANGE. The AME should add notes in Block 60, per the disposition table.
The AME should verify there have been no additional drug or alcohol events/offense(s). If none have occurred, that should be noted in Block 60. If any additional events have occurred, the AME should refer to the instructions on the correct disposition table.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or.../guide/media/SubstancesAbuseDependenceFAQ.pdf

Can you clarify this from the FAA FAQs then?

7. Must the airman continue to mark “yes” on all subsequent exams?
Yes. If the airman has reported the event to the FAA, they must continue to report it on ALL subsequent 8500-8 applications. This applies even when the FAA has reviewed documentation and sent the airman a letter saying no further monitoring or information is needed for that event.
If the applicant/airman documented the information on previous exams AND there are no new arrest(s), conviction(s), and/or administrative action(s) since the last application, the Applicant may enter PREVIOUSLY REPORTED, NO CHANGE. The AME should add notes in Block 60, per the disposition table.
The AME should verify there have been no additional drug or alcohol events/offense(s). If none have occurred, that should be noted in Block 60. If any additional events have occurred, the AME should refer to the instructions on the correct disposition table.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or.../guide/media/SubstancesAbuseDependenceFAQ.pdf
The FAA hires crappy writers.

I am not checking yes because someone told me to, I am checking yes because I reported it to the FAA years ago and they sent me a letter regarding the substance abuse. If you reported it to the FAA you must still check yes and put previously reported no change for every medical. it is literally in the FAA faq section

No, even abuse has to be reported forever if the FAA finds out about.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back