Future AD's

simtech

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Simtech
How long are AD's in the pipeline before they become reality? I was told from someone that Piper and Cessna might be releasing some AD's and maintenance bulletins for their older aircraft that might be rather expensive. Anyway to check on this? not sure on models or anything but at this point in my mind it's just a rumor. They said they read it in an article last year sometime...

How long are AD's in the pipeline before they become reality? I was told from someone that Piper and Cessna might be releasing some AD's and maintenance bulletins for their older aircraft that might be rather expensive. Anyway to check on this? not sure on models or anything but at this point in my mind it's just a rumor. They said they read it in an article last year sometime...

Airworthiness Directives are most often based upon previously-issued Service Bulletins, in my experience, so if an owner pays attention to those he's usually in good shape. Cessna has a few that have often made me wonder why they're not ADs: the 172's cracking stabilizer spar comes to mind.

Dan

In most cases it goes through the normal rule making process which takes a few months. As pointed out by Dan, these are often codification of prior service bulletins. Most of the larger impact ADs get noticed by the aviation press when they hit the NPRM stage (some when they are just SBs).

The issue with a lot of ADs is how hard the manufacturer pushes things. It used to be that not having ADs was a sign of pride. Now some manufacturers see it as either a liability dodge or a way to force the customer base to have to buy new parts to satisfy the AD.

Experimentals usually don'tever see ADs, rather the kit MFG issues SBs. It is up to the owner to judge wheather or not to comply. I can think of 1 SB on my -10 that I simply monitor at the annual condition inspection, and another (door latches) that I fixed a different way with after market parts.

It is nice to have the flexibility. :D

Experimentals usually don'tever see ADs,

http://www.eaa.org/news/2012/2012-03-15_win.asp

one commentor:

"The EAA should be ashamed of themselves for misleading the flying public on this issue. Nothing has changed except that NEW ADs will contain verbiage as to weather or not they apply to non-TC'd products. This does nothing for the countless ADs already on the books which still carry the full authority of the FARs, only adding to this unnecessary confusion... Further for those who say that they have modified the product rendering the AD not applicable, please read the Advisory Circular because that modification may require an approval for an alternate method of compliance by the FAA. If an Amateur builder presents an aircraft for certification, he or she will still have to show compliance if a product affected by an AD is installed prior to that certificate being issued, after which the owner operator is responsible for maintaining that aircraft in accordance wit h the FARs including part 39...."

How long are AD's in the pipeline before they become reality?
Typically weeks or months, but Emergency AD's can come out on very short notice.
I was told from someone that Piper and Cessna might be releasing some AD's
Manufacturers cannot "release" AD's -- only the FAA can issue them, and they don't need the manufacturer's cooperation or permission to do that. All manufacturers can issue are Service Bulletins, which are not binding on most Part 91 operators like owner/pilots. As for AD's, sometimes the manufacturers support them (like when the AD is based on a SB the manufacturer already issued), and sometimes they fight them.

Anyway to check on this?
Generally speaking, the type clubs are part of the review group on proposed AD's. As Safety Director of the AYA (Grumman owner's group), the AYA's Technical Director and I get worksheets from the FAA when they are considering an AD or SAIB on the light Grummans (AA/AG-1/5-series and GA-7 Cougar). The inputs we produce from our Technical Advisory Committee as the "type experts" are part of the process, and taken seriously by the FAA. Your best bet, then, would be to contact your type club and see what they've heard.

not sure on models or anything but at this point in my mind it's just a rumor. They said they read it in an article last year sometime...
Rumors are cheap and plentiful. Ask your type club to confirm it before you get too worked up.

Back