Funny thing in the Pattern Today

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
This had me laughing to myself today in the pattern.

OK, so they are repaving the runway at (PAJN)/JNU Juneau, AK. Normal runway is about 8,000ft X 150ft wide. So we are landing on the "A" taxi way. 600ft shorter and only 75ft wide.

Got the day off so I figured I would do a few touch and goes to kill some time, we were using rwy 08. After my first touch and go Alaska Airlines calls in some 20 miles out and asks for a left down wind for rwy 26. Tower tells me to make left turn and use rwy 26. I say ok with me and make a 180 for a left down wind on 26.

About a minute later Alaska Airlines calls in and amends for straight in on rwy 08. Tower tells me to do a 180 and land rwy 08.

I do the 180 and ask to leave the pattern to the S.W. and let the big jet do it's thing. Flew out 20 miles or so came back and did a few more touch and goes.

Just made me chuckle. I know if I were flying a 737 and had to land on a rwy 75 feet wide 600 feet shorter than normal I would consider all my options.

It's all good, all I had to do was a few 180's in the sky.

Last edited:
Glad You had a good time. It's always fun playing when the big guys are in the area.

Back