Funny thing I noticed while completing my 107 paperwork

Ravioli

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
So... on the application it asks for my pilot certificate number. Like I know that off hand?

So I look in my wallet and guess what... the last 3 characters of MY very own Airmen's Certificate are 666.

For those of you who haven't suffered through my Comm discussions I always use "Bug Destroyer 666" (because I don't smash bugs, I DESTROY them).

The triple six being on my cert is a coincidence that I find quite funny.

Now go fly!

You don’t know yours off hand?

You don’t know yours off hand?

I'm a lowly PPL. I have an EXP but I don't do my own maintenance (because I'm inept with tools) so there are very few times I need to record that number. I do KNOW where to find it, though.

Edit. Know, not No. I hope it didn't get caught.

Last edited:
Funny the things we remember.

I still recall the VIN of my 1983 Ford LTD company car from when I worked at Bell & Howell in Houston. Wrote it every week when doing my expense report.

1FABP3932DA112419

Weird, huh?

BTW, I do not know my Airman Certificate number.

When I was a CFI I knew it by heart only if I wrote it. I now have my Private Cert framed below my solo plaque next to my desk partially to help me with my number. :D

Had my first one memorized, but it was my SSN, so... wasn’t too hard. ;) Not the brightest idea FAA ever had.

Memorized the late model one with the fancy new non-SSN numbers, after the CFI, since you have to write it on everything all the time.

Also bought the tiny tipped pens that @jesse suggested years ago. There’s a secret tiny writing test during the oral for the CFI. :)

Not kidding about the pens, though. Ultra fine tip is the only way to go on those.

Ironically, Pilot brand. G2. The .038 ultra-fine version. You can cram a lot of stuff into that little tiny comment spot in small logbooks with those, and they write really well for an ultra-fine.

Normally I’m a chunky pencil and pen guy, 0.9 is great for day to day notes. But not for logbooks... the 0.38 Pilots stay in my flight bag.

My wife, the nurse is also a Pilot G2 fan, and once she learned of the 0.38s in my flight bag, she started stealing them. She was a 0.7 girl before the pen pilfering started and I had to order more. :)

Had my first one memorized, but it was my SSN, so... wasn’t too hard. ;) Not the brightest idea FAA ever had.
Oh, don't be hard on them. SSN used to be used for all kinds of things, it wasn't a big secret. I have an Army duffel bag with mine stenciled on it, as did/do probably a few million other service members from the 70s until I don't know when. It was required to be part of the address when anyone sent me letters while in the Army. A lot of states used it for driver's license numbers. Once the financial industry started treating it like it was some sort of super-secret code is when the trouble started. THAT was stupid.

I didn't know Pilot made a .38mm tip pen. My wife and I used the .7mm Pilots for years. I've switched to Zebras, but we really liked the Pilots. If I find the ultra fine G2 I may buy a couple.

SSN used to be used for all kinds of things, it wasn't a big secret.
It wasn’t until just 2 or 3 years ago that I finally memorized mine.

Oh, don't be hard on them. SSN used to be used for all kinds of things, it wasn't a big secret. I have an Army duffel bag with mine stenciled on it, as did/do probably a few million other service members from the 70s until I don't know when. It was required to be part of the address when anyone sent me letters while in the Army. A lot of states used it for driver's license numbers. Once the financial industry started treating it like it was some sort of super-secret code is when the trouble started. THAT was stupid.

I didn't know Pilot made a .38mm tip pen. My wife and I used the .7mm Pilots for years. I've switched to Zebras, but we really liked the Pilots. If I find the ultra fine G2 I may buy a couple.

Hahaha oh I know. FAA kept it alive longer than most, though. And you had to write it in books owned by other people you maybe barely knew if you were a CFI back then. I always joked with my CFI, “I’d use your SSN to go get a loan, but you’re more broke than I am!”

Dad’s nuclear weapons training certificate has his on it. ;)

I keep that nostalgia piece on the wall in the ham shack.

What paranoid modern government would hand anyone a training certificate, like they just spent a day at sales camp, for nuclear weapons, these days? And put an SSN on it?

Hehehe. A cool relic of simpler times. Issued right around the peak of Wichita’s light aircraft GA sales, too.

As far as the Pilot’s go, they make the 7, 5, and 3... decent pens too, for usually about a buck a pen online.

Less colors in the ultra fine than in the fine and extra fine, but I rarely use fancy colors. Karen likes the colors for some stuff. In the ultra fine it’s black, blue, red, and green, and that’s it. They make all sorts of weird colors in the two bigger sizes.

Back