Funniest thing I've read today

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
I can't believe someone actually wrote this... are piston engines really that obsolete that people are confusing them for steam engines?
The piston aircraft are powered by piston engines (or reciprocating engines), and use heat to produce steam pressure, which in turn is used to generate a rotating motion that powers the engine.

I mean, I guess water IS one of the primary products of combustion...

The article that popped up in my news feed, probably because I've been searching charters for some reason....
https://flyprivate.com/turboprops-twin-pistons-know-your-options/

Some people just choose to be ignorant.

Don’t they realize that the turbine engines are driven by steam as well?

Same way hydraulics run on water. This is basic science and engineering.

I often wonder if things like this (short, uninformed, and uninformative explanations written as filler to get people to look at ads) are written by a human with a third-grade education or by an AI. It’s not clear to me which is more alarming for the future of the species.

Looks like the site has modified the wording.

Looks like the site has modified the wording.

“Piston airplanes have one or more piston-powered engines connected a propeller to provide thrust to move the aircraft on the ground and through the air.”

And it still isn't much better. :rolleyes:

“Piston airplanes have one or more piston-powered engines connected a propeller to provide thrust to move the aircraft on the ground and through the air.”

And it still isn't much better. :rolleyes:
At least that explanation won't leave the reader vulnerable to the treadmill fallacy! :D

My bet would be that it was intentional. They appear to be a charter broker of some kind, and I doubt that a broker makes much on a piston charter, so they worded it to discourage such foolishness.

Try explaining to some people that there is no such thing as a hot water heater ...o_O

Until we circle back to where we started...steam.

OK, now my brain is working overtime, or something. So, I remember back to my steam tables, and steam plants, and I remember that when the steam leaves the turbine you still want it to be superheated somewhat as water impingement on the turbine blades is a good way to eat up your turbine.

So I suppose when an airliner flies through a deluge, the water must be still superheated as it passes through the last fan wheel in the engine otherwise the blades would get eaten up by water impingement. Or is it that the pressure at that stage of the gas turbine isn't high enough to erode the blades?

com’on what a waste of a post… just for a typo.

OK, now my brain is working overtime, or something. So, I remember back to my steam tables, and steam plants, and I remember that when the steam leaves the turbine you still want it to be superheated somewhat as water impingement on the turbine blades is a good way to eat up your turbine.

So I suppose when an airliner flies through a deluge, the water must be still superheated as it passes through the last fan wheel in the engine otherwise the blades would get eaten up by water impingement. Or is it that the pressure at that stage of the gas turbine isn't high enough to erode the blades?

A gas turbine engine with water injection is really a steam engine. Q.E.D.

Cheers

I've been trying to adapt my grandfather's Stanley Steamer engine to fit in a C-172 for a couple of years now, but with the supply chain problems I can't get all the parts I need.

Lest we forget the Besler, powered by steam, with beta thrust! (1:31)

The dirty little secret about steam propulsion is that it's much appreciated on those cold days. One can fly in shirtsleeves when other, less informed & equipped are bundled up or freezing their tails off. Fly safe and don't run out of coal.

The dirty little secret about steam propulsion is that it's much appreciated on those cold days. One can fly in shirtsleeves when other, less informed & equipped are bundled up or freezing their tails off. Fly safe and don't run out of coal.

Yeah, but the pre-heat is a beatch.

I don't know how much it's still done, but it used to be a thing to copy entire websites, and then stand them up with malware and ads for internet order drugs. There was enough legitimate content to drive traffic to them. I know this because we'd have people requesting access to the blocked/malicious sites through our Internet filters, to get some article or data. It wouldn't surprise me if the current version of this includes modification of the content a bit, so that search engines would have trouble spotting it as duplicate.

Back