Fun with your CFI.

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
Everyone knows my current CFI is a friend of mine (before flight training). So we usually do some stuff outside of the PTS at the end...anyone else do fun stuff (not kinky) when you're flying with a CFI?

I'll start - esterday after we did all the maneuvers and whatnot for the checkride prep (yeah I'm still working on it) I asked if he was up for a challenge. He asked what the challenge was first. "Who can land the shortest on 22 (KTDZ) without landing on the displaced threshold or before it and under control and not flat spot the tires with braking. He said "Sure, who is first" I'm the competitive one so I went first. Came around and got her landed even with the VASI lights. He started with the short field takeoff since it was getting dark and he's not night current and obvioulsly was over confident. He came in and flew over the VASI lights and got it down before the intersection. I haven't had a good time flying like that in a long time! Bragging rights for sure. (I think on Monday I'll be paying for it and he'll want a rematch) But the winds won't be the same....20015G27KT. Normally when I want to still be flying and he's out of ideas we go to a different runway and do crosswinds but 22 had the best.

Yup, landing stuff like that and who can get the most altitude out of a chandelle. Every once and a while I'd let my CFII land and give him a challenge, he gets bored sometimes.

any other landing stuff that's fun? It's no fun trying the opposite "Let's see who can land close to the other end of the runway"

My private instructor was also my roommate. He'd pull crap on me all the times. We did spins on the second lesson. He'd also open the door on his side which he stopped after I rolled hit hard to his side and stomped on the rudder.

I still remember dumping him out on the taxiway and taking off for my first solo and hearing the tower state "Doesn't it fly a lot better without that fat guy in the right seat?"

Flying at a field with tower operators with a sense of humor goes a long way toward pegging the fun meter..

Ben.

Big agreement. KAFW is known for that in this area. Google "information Bubba" for a good example.

My CFI in Alaska always seemed to have fun.

He flies commercial (small planes) all over SE Alaska but never gets to "sight see" as he has to fly the plane.

So when I was flying around he was always like "wow this is awesome".

When we would see humpback whales bubblenetting we would practice turns around a point etc.

We would slip down when we saw moose or sheep.

Had to do a go around once because of a black bear on the runway, I bet he could have slapped the landing gear (he just ran out of the woods as I was touching down).

My CFI at home maybe I need to work on having some fun with . . . it's pretty flat down here (Louisiana/mississippi) but we can fly over the coast.

Just for fun, my CFI did 11 consecutive loops in a row (Citabria). About made us both sick!

I can see why it would be fun but don't you have to pay for the whole flight? So you end up paying for your CFI's part of the competition as well?

Flying a C-150 with just the doors and throttle.
Practicing flying the plane with one or another of the controls inop.

My CFI gives me a discount and is very patient in all the hours the least I can do is let him have 6 minutes of flying the airplane. :)

any other landing stuff that's fun? It's no fun trying the opposite "Let's see who can land close to the other end of the runway"
This may be heresy, but see if you can put the opposite wheel (ie, if you are in the right seat, use the left wheel) on the centerline...

Ryan

Runway 3-21 is a closed runway and really deteriorating, though the markings are still visible. Runway 16-34 is in fine shape. Often the wind favors the old, closed runway 21. Where the two runways cross, if you follow the old centerline for runway 21 there is 300 feet of new pavement which is technically on runway 16-34. With 15 or 20 knots of wind blowing from 210°, it is not difficult to land and stop on that 300 feet of pavement. I used to challange my private, commercial and cfi students with that.

Also, there was a nice straight stretch of NV/CA Highway 88 about 8 miles long extending south of town. Back in the day of the 55 mph speed limit, we'd do turns about a point using cars or trucks traveling down that highway. With calm winds aloft, it was like having a 55 mph wind blowing directly down the highway. You can really evaluate a student's knowledge of ground reference maneuvers with a 55 mph wind!

...and above all,
FLY SAFE!

Back in the day of the 55 mph speed limit, we'd do turns about a point using cars or trucks traveling down that highway. With calm winds aloft, it was like having a 55 mph wind blowing directly down the highway. You can really evaluate a student's knowledge of ground reference maneuvers with a 55 mph wind!

aka: turns around a drunk because no sober person I ever knew did 55. :D

Back