Fun trip to Highland County - HOC

jasstech

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
jasstech
Saturday I decided to go on an adventure with my 5 year old son so we headed to HOC. Unfortunately the adventure started a little early. After pulling up to the pumps I pulled the mixture and to my surprise not only did the engine keep running but the mixture cable was inside with us. Luckily turning the mags off did the trick.

Now instead of bolting off on our adventure I went into the FBO. The good news was someone was there. The bad news was the A&P wasn't. Being the dummy I am I didn't have so much as a screwdriver to get the cowling off. The attendant was super helpful. He called 4 different mechanics but didn't get an answer from any of them. So he loaned me a screwdriver and helped get the cowling off.

Once removed it was obvious the cable had broken right where it attached. We went inside to try to call a mechanic again when the on field mechanic came strolling in. In just a couple minutes the cable was reattached and the cowling back on. The only compensation any of them would take was my gratitude.

Now that my ability to depart was assured I inquired about the courtesy car. They loaned it to me for the afternoon so my son and I could visit Serpent Mound and Rocky Fork Lake State Park. My son and I ended up having a great time thanks to the Super friendly and helpful people at HOC.

There wasn't a lot to do at the mound but it was interesting to see. The state park was top notch. We had such a great time that my wife and daughter will be coming along next time.

Luckily the flight home was a non event. Now we wait for the cable to be replaced and put together an emergency kit in case next time no one is around!

That's Gary the on field mechanic. Super nice guy who works on the big iron for a day job. If the fellow at the front desk was an older guy named Darryl, he's at least 93 and had a distinguished military career as a pilot.

I was just there Saturday and its a very friendly place that is a lot more active than many Ohio airports.

I will be going there this weekend.

Unfortunately I didn't get to meet Darryl. It sounds like he is someone that would be a pleasure to meet. The guy at the front desk was Bob but I didn't catch his last name. It was definitely a great day trip.

Back