Fun topic

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Ok, a few givens:

1) It is legal to fly in IMC in class G airspace while not on an Instrument Flight Plan.
2) I have a runway in my back yard, which is located within class G airspace, and there is a VOR nearby that can be received all the way to the ground
3) I have planned, and drawn up an approach plate to the runway that will safely get me to the ground, and has a missed approach procedure should I fail.

Ok - some information:
Runway elevation is 2600ft.
MEA on the nearest airway is 4500ft.

How does one go about flying the Victor airway to the point where you deem it is safe to descend, while in IMC, to get to the class G airspace near the airway, where it is legal to cancel IFR and remain IMC throughout the approach?

Smart? Probably not. Legal? Neglecting the catch all reg, I'd say so.

As I said in chat..

First they're not going to let you get low enough in teh first place to get into the class G unless you shot an approach into the class g. At that point if you tried to navigate to your airport you'd be busting 91.177 (remaining in the class G).

The only way to go below 91.177 is to shoot an instrument approach. 91.175 says you must use a published standard instrument approach which your home-made approach is not.

Even if you tried to B/S your way around all this you'd still get nailed by 91.13. Basically I don't see how you'd pull this off without busting several regs.

1) It is legal to fly in IMC in class G airspace while not on an Instrument Flight Plan.
Well, there goes the idea. It is not always legal to fly in IMC in G-space without an IFR clearance. If the G-space underlies the E-space over an airport with an SIAP, the FAA will charge you with a 91.13 violation and the NTSB will uphold it. See Administrator v. Murphy for details.
2) I have a runway in my back yard, which is located within class G airspace, and there is a VOR nearby that can be received all the way to the ground
Is there an airport with an SIAP anywhere nearby? If so, your idea is dead on arrival.
3) I have planned, and drawn up an approach plate to the runway that will safely get me to the ground, and has a missed approach procedure should I fail.
...and then there's that pesky 91.175(a), which is not limited to controlled airspace, which says you can't roll your own approaches.

Sorry, Nick. Nice thought, but neither legal nor safe.

Back