fun lesson tonight

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
First 1/2 hour under the foggles, felt like I did really well. Then flew up to KJQF for the first time for 3 TnG's and talking to ATC. It was really busy up there and they had us in right traffic and all sorts of fun stuff. Really it was awesome and I think I handled everything pretty well. Landings were a solid C+ but given all the activity I'll bump that up to a B-. Lovin it!

Save the hood time for marginal weather. No sense in wasting a good view.

I really enjoy doing the hood work. Every time I've done it I realize within a couple of minutes how very easy it would be to disoriented.:yikes:

Wait till you do unusual attitude recoveries under the hood....that will really get your adrenalin up.:eek:

Good luck

I really enjoy doing the hood work. Every time I've done it I realize within a couple of minutes how very easy it would be to disoriented.:yikes:

Wait till you do unusual attitude recoveries under the hood....that will really get your adrenalin up.:eek:

Good luck

This, so so much. Especially re: unusual attitude recoveries. ESPECIALLY when you have an instructor who seems like he's trying to break the plane as soon as you put your head down...

Hood work was very stressful for me initially (yay perfectionism), but it got to be pretty enjoyable by the end of my PPL training.

Yeah, after the lesson I told my instructor I thought I did pretty well, he said yup, just wait til we do unusual attitudes :)

Save the hood time for marginal weather. No sense in wasting a good view.

Not good advice. You want to learn how to fly in marginal weather "for real" with your instructor. That means at least one lesson with 4 miles visibility and/or a broken cloud deck at 1300 AGL, or perhaps in the rain, ducking around cumulus clouds, etc.

You know how to fly in CAVU conditions now. Practice what you don't know.

I found unusual attitudes to be kinda fun. Yeah, you can get disoriented. That's the challenge.

This, so so much. Especially re: unusual attitude recoveries. ESPECIALLY when you have an instructor who seems like he's trying to break the plane as soon as you put your head down...

Hood work was very stressful for me initially (yay perfectionism), but it got to be pretty enjoyable by the end of my PPL training.

I got 30 minutes of hood time on my SECOND lesson. Talk about sweating like a pig.

My experience is similar to yours. I have close to 2 hours under the hood now, and it's less stressful than it was at first. I actually think unusual attitude recoveries are fun!

It was the fourth lesson for me, 0.5 on the Hobbs. I've got 4 hours now, and I'm holding off on more hood work until I decide to go for my Instrument Rating... which will be awhile, as I don't really have a good way to do it Part 141 and there's a monstrous amount of hours required for Part 61... gotta get my funding in order for that!

I got 30 minutes of hood time on my SECOND lesson. Talk about sweating like a pig.

My experience is similar to yours. I have close to 2 hours under the hood now, and it's less stressful than it was at first. I actually think unusual attitude recoveries are fun!

Yeah, after the lesson I told my instructor I thought I did pretty well, he said yup, just wait til we do unusual attitudes :)
Wait 'till he tells ya to put your head down between your legs, close your eyes, and starts putting it into a bunch of climbs, decents, and banks while you're sitting there.

I never get sick in the plane and that came really close to making me puke a couple times.

I must be the only person in the world who had no problem recovering from unusual attitudes. Even the one where my CFI went off in every direction possible, and then put the plane back in straight and level flight. I picked up my head, grabbed the controls, saw the little plane was on the line between black and blue and said "recovery complete".

He said he gets most students with that one...

I'm not planning on flying into clouds or anything, but to me it seemed like no big deal. I still respect IMC for sure, and I'm not suggesting I'll be complacent about it because I thought it was easy, but, meh.

It's a whole other ball game when you're actual IMC in the clouds and getting thrown around.

Unusual attitudes are easy. You're in the blue, go towards brown then level. Going towards brown, reduce power, level wings, go towards blue.

Not good advice. You want to learn how to fly in marginal weather "for real" with your instructor. That means at least one lesson with 4 miles visibility and/or a broken cloud deck at 1300 AGL, or perhaps in the rain, ducking around cumulus clouds, etc.

That's kind of hard to do in SoCal .

Same here, I'm learning in a G1000 equipped 172 so the early lessons under the hood were just like playing Flight Sim :D no worries !!

Wait 'till he tells ya to put your head down between your legs, close your eyes, and starts putting it into a bunch of climbs, decents, and banks while you're sitting there.

You got that too ? I got, "head down, close your eyes, sit on you hands, tilt your head onto your right shoulder, and tell me when we are straight and level....." I said NOW....." ok your aircraft"...... Im sure you guessed we weren't straight and level.

I must be the only person in the world who had no problem recovering from unusual attitudes. .

Never said it was a problem, just interesting and at first didn't know what to really expect.

I must be the only person in the world who had no problem recovering from unusual attitudes. Even the one where my CFI went off in every direction possible, and then put the plane back in straight and level flight. I picked up my head, grabbed the controls, saw the little plane was on the line between black and blue and said "recovery complete".

He said he gets most students with that one...

I'm not planning on flying into clouds or anything, but to me it seemed like no big deal. I still respect IMC for sure, and I'm not suggesting I'll be complacent about it because I thought it was easy, but, meh.

I think you'd find that you'd feel much different if you actually flew into IMC.

Me, I'll run out of fuel and end up in a field before I fly into IMC on purpose, and I hope to never do it accidentally. It's a good way for a non-instrument pilot to end up dead.

That's kind of hard to do in SoCal .
You don't have marine layer in SoCal in summer?

That's contrary to my experience. By a lot. Hop over to SMO or maybe HHR or TOA or LGB and you can do quite a bit of weather dodging.

And that comment was in response to skipping hood time on CAVU days because the scenery is better. If there is nothing but CAVU days, there really isn't any choice to make, is there?

You don't have marine layer in SoCal in summer?

That's contrary to my experience. By a lot. Hop over to SMO or maybe HHR or TOA or LGB and you can do quite a bit of weather dodging.

And that comment was in response to skipping hood time on CAVU days because the scenery is better. If there is nothing but CAVU days, there really isn't any choice to make, is there?

For sure we have the marine layer, those airports you mention plus camarillo and Oxnard are always socked in. Van Nuys, Whiteman, Burnbank, El Monte, Bracket, Cable, Riverside, Chino are clear most of the year.
I could go to the ones you mentioned but I just don't fancy practicing IFR in clouds with a 200 foot base and an 800 ft top. :eek:

Always socked in? I doubt it. Marine layer ebbs and flows. The only place I've seen that has frequent all-day marine layer is KHAF. Just about everywhere else clears out noon or earlier. PAO typically does so by 10AM.

HHR is MVFR right now, as are almost all the airports around the LA basin. Perfect for weather dodging.

Always socked in? I doubt it. Marine layer ebbs and flows. The only place I've seen that has frequent all-day marine layer is KHAF. Just about everywhere else clears out noon or earlier. PAO typically does so by 10AM.

HHR is MVFR right now, as are almost all the airports around the LA basin. Perfect for weather dodging.

All right not always, I don't have an exact percentage figure but having lived half way between SMO and VNY for nearly 20 years, I can tell you that the difference is immense.
If there is a Marine layer, SMO gets it long before VNY and it stays much much longer.

You know how to fly in CAVU conditions now. Practice what you don't know.

I found unusual attitudes to be kinda fun. Yeah, you can get disoriented. That's the challenge.

By "marginal", I didn't mean the literal definition of marginal weather. I meant the high overcast and broken days where the sun is hiding. Should have been more clear.

I never get sick in the plane and that came really close to making me puke a couple times.

Try this:

Remember: what gets you into unusual attitudes is not another pilot (or instructor, for that matter) but the pilot flying.

Sometime ask your instructor to do this: You fly the plane straight and level for a while then he/she has you close your eyes and put your head down, and tells you to keep the plane straight and level. After a few moments, the instructor will ask you to open your eyes and recover from the unusual attitude that you put yourself into almost without you realizing that you caused it.

That's how my CFI/CFII's did it and its a whole different experience when you do it to yourself and then recover.

My instructor did that the other day.

First he told me to keep it straight and level, and then make a right turn. I had the hood on but my head was down so I couldn't even see the panel.

I looked up and we were pointed up in a stall pitch additude and to the LEFT. LOL. Good way to see how the body lies to you if you have absolutely nothing(instruments or horizon) to reference.

I'll have to try that. Good idea on putting yourself in the unusual attitude.

Good way to see how the body lies to you if you have absolutely nothing(instruments or horizon) to reference.

Kind of scary when you think about. A CFI told me once that a VFR pilot has only a few seconds to figure it out when they encounter sudden IFR conditions, which is why so many dont:nonod:

I'd like to think I could at least maintain straight and level for a little longer than that on instruments, possibly even a 180 to get out. I can do it under the hood, but I don't know how that compares to being in actual IMC. My Instructor is waiting for some weather to take me up into some actual clouds.

No instruments and seat of the pants? I'd be dead within a minute.

Back