Fun in the grass

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
Yesterday afternoon flew out to a private, grass field in Central PA for the first time. (first time to this field -- not first time landing on turf!)

If you've ever flown over Central PA -- in June, it's all green.

I coordinated with the field owner, and I asked for a location. He said it was "14 miles on 270 radial of Ravine VOR." I asked him for nearby road names and did a fly-by on Google Earth in the morning.

I decided to file since there were some scattered clouds and buildup along a few ridges, and above would be smoother and cooler than below. Besides, it never hurts to keep up with IFR procedures and language, I like having additional eyes looking for traffic, and it forces me to keep up the discipline of flight plan and briefing, etc.

I took off 10 minutes late at 1440 into the bouncy sky and through bumpy CU over the ridges near Johnstown and Altoona. As I climbed I left the heat behind and enjoyed the cooler air streaming in through the wing root cans.

Harrisburg Approach -- as usual -- gave me a "Fly direct HAR VOR" -- about 50 degrees right of my planned, filed, cleared, and desired course. Ugh -- I can never fly through that airspace without some inexplicable change of routing.

Anyway, the new course meant I was approaching from the southwest, as opposed to the west, so things looked different that what I'd rehearsed.

I cancelled IFR once below the scattered CU to get out of HAR APP clutches, flew towards the Susquehanna River, and was looking at two identical valleys -- same town position along the river, same ridge height and direction -- same everything.

I looked at the secondary VOR and I was a bit left of the 270 radial. I turned 15 degrees right, and flew towards the more southern valley.

In the distance I saw the small, one acre pond that had been visible on Google Earth. I switched to 122.75 and Dane answered on his handheld. I flew along until I spotted two red barns -- he said he saw me overhead, so I must be close!

And then… those two lovely white barrels that marked the runway end. As soon as I saw those the “runway” popped out from the landscape and I didn’t have any more problems visualizing it or my position relative to it.

I flew a normal pattern and landed a tiny bit long (the runway slopes up, but I didn't adequately adapt for the upslope illusion).

I floated a bit while feeling for the surface. I felt the mains touch and kept the nosewheel up (whew) and I bumped along on the rollout of my first turf landing in a while.

I had dinner with our friends, did a talk for their church youth group, and then hustled back to the airport for the return flight home.

I wanted to be off NLT 2015, but we didn’t get to the airport until 2020. Everything checked out, a hurried goodbye, and then I was bouncing down the turf and airborne 10 minutes later, watching trees and then the muddy Susquehanna pass beneath me.

The flight back was smooth. There were a few stretches of flying in and out of the cloud tops (it’s rare that happens – I’m either in the middle of the soup or above or below).

8k put me in and out of the tops, and I enjoyed the wonderful sensation of speed as I approached and broke through wisps of disintegrating cumulus.

The sunset was beautiful; the airplane was flying as expected, and so I pressed on the 20 minutes after darkness finally fell from JST to KFWQ.

I cancelled over KLBE, descended gradually, and clicked on the lights 20 miles out. The taxiway lights shone blue and bright, and the straight-in approach at 90 MPH (old airplane) seemed to take forever – everything was in a state of suspended animation until the last hundred feet – then the runway leapt up, the airplane settled down, and the transition from flying to rolling was barely perceived.

I announced clear of the active to no one, pushed the airplane in the hangar, and listened to the engine clicking as it cooled while wiping off the summer bugs.

A motorcycle ride home in the dark put the icing on this wonderful afternoon and evening.

Last edited:
Yesterday afternoon flew out to a private, grass field in Central PA for the first time.

First time on grass or first time to this field?

The flight back was smooth. There were a few stretches of flying in and out of the cloud tops (it’s rare that happens – I’m either in the middle of the soup or above or below).
8k put me in and out of the tops, and I enjoyed the wonderful sensation of speed as I approached and broke through wisps of disintegrating cumulus.

I've been in and out of lots of grass fields, but never in and out of the clouds (no actual IFR at all).

Funny how that works out - taildraggers, grass - no big deal to me, that's what I learned on. To others, it's something brand new. IFR - ho-hum to you, something never experienced by me.

Thanks for the story.

First time on grass or first time to this field?

I've been in and out of lots of grass fields, but never in and out of the clouds (no actual IFR at all).

Funny how that works out - taildraggers, grass - no big deal to me, that's what I learned on. To others, it's something brand new. IFR - ho-hum to you, something never experienced by me.

Thanks for the story.

Geoff,

Sorry -- first time to this field. I checked my logbook -- last time on grass was 2002!

While I love grass strips I don't tend to do them too often. I keep the wheel pants on my Cherokee, it gives me a few knots and looks better. I don't like the thought of them getting eaten on a badly maintained turf strip. But wx permitting you'll see me at 6Y9 and Lee Bottom.

Ah okay, I'm even closer to that one.

My dad owned half of a straight tail Cessna 150 many years ago there...I wonder if it's still around?

There are only two birds there -- a VERY nice Turbo Aztec and a 182.

It's a very nice area, there... out of the way and yet convenient to Harrisburg...

There are only two birds there -- a VERY nice Turbo Aztec and a 182.

It's a very nice area, there... out of the way and yet convenient to Harrisburg...

It sure is. There's a guy up here in Elizabethville with a Beech Mentor in Navy yellow that he flies around. That's a fun plane to watch.:D

It sure is. There's a guy up here in Elizabethville with a Beech Mentor in Navy yellow that he flies around. That's a fun plane to watch.:D

There are a couple of Navy yellow Mentors at our field (KFWQ). Those two have a bit of a well-earned reputation for disregarding all other traffic in the pattern and doing mid-field breaks, wingovers -- the rest -- amidst a sky full of Saturday-only fliers.

I was doing Right-seat practice in a 172 one afternoon when those two roared about 100' overhead as I was on short final.

I didn't like that.

There are a couple of Navy yellow Mentors at our field (KFWQ). Those two have a bit of a well-earned reputation for disregarding all other traffic in the pattern and doing mid-field breaks, wingovers -- the rest -- amidst a sky full of Saturday-only fliers.

I was doing Right-seat practice in a 172 one afternoon when those two roared about 100' overhead as I was on short final.

I didn't like that.

I bet if you complained enough at them you'd get a free ride :D

Nice Write Up Dan. Grass is fun! The Centre Hall Airpark fly-in/camp-in is coming up in the not too distant future in that same area it sounds like. Also, have you been into 3W3? There is an excellent lil yacht club thing within a 4 minute walk and it probably wouldn't be too much further of a flight. Thanks for sharing!

Dan, that was a great writeup. Made me feel like I was out there with you.

Back