Fun approach into Palm Springs

It sure does. My dad can't wait until the company he flies for receives approval for the new RNP approaches. He flies Barry Manilow in and out of PSP quite often, so when the weather is down, this approach would definitely be an operational benefit.

It sure does. My dad can't wait until the company he flies for receives approval for the new RNP approaches. He flies Barry Manilow in and out of PSP quite often, so when the weather is down, this approach would definitely be an operational benefit.
I'm sorry.

-Felix

Jason's dad can always get priority with ATC:

"I've got Barry Manilow in the back and I'm not afraid to put him on the radio!"

As long as Celine Dion isn't in the same sector, he wins.

I remember going into PSP not too long ago. It was VFR, of which I was glad. Did you see all the windmills not far up the valley? Oh, and when you go, be sure to stop in at the Copa, Copa Cabana! :)

I gather its a type of rnp where the turns are performed within certain criteria, at a constant arc which keeps you within specified limits
(radius of a fix)

"RF" refers to "constant radius to fix" legs. Have fun: From The "Instrument Procedures Handbook", 5-23:

Attachments

• InstProc.HandbookH-8261-1.JPG
    InstProc.HandbookH-8261-1.JPG
    716.8 KB · Views: 16
Thanks, guys. I assume that the constant radius capability is both part of the RNAV system AND the autoflight system - the Nav system has to be able to recognize and generate the necessary steering signals and the autopilot has to be able to manuever the airplane with the necessary tight tolerances.

I believe I read somewhere that RNP procedures must be flown on autopilot - is that still true?

What does "Special Aircraft & Aircrew Authorization Required" really mean ? Every plane I fly seems special to me. ;-)

What does "Special Aircraft & Aircrew Authorization Required" really mean ? Every plane I fly seems special to me. ;-)

They a/c has to be specially certified, and so do the pilots, for that procedure. Like the really steep approach to London City or CAT II/III approach minimums.

My mommy tells me I'm "special" every day, though, so I don't think I need a checkride for special procedures. :no::goofy:

Unless of course you have family that goes to special education schools.

I'm sorry.

-Felix

He's actually a very nice individual, and so is his manager. My dad enjoys the PSP-LAS-PSP hops, short flight.

I did not think he was so nice when he freaked out that one of the hotels in Palm Springs assigned me the same meeting room that he wanted to practice in. He got very snippy and went scurrying away to hotel staff demanding that they kick us out immediately.

Very cool approach. That's a neat airport. I flew in under the hood to 31R last year, with 3 737s in trail, approach asking me to hurry hurry, had a real chop-n-drop to get in.

Some mighty scary looking mountains surround the place.

I did not think he was so nice when he freaked out that one of the hotels in Palm Springs assigned me the same meeting room that he wanted to practice in. He got very snippy and went scurrying away to hotel staff demanding that they kick us out immediately.

That's quite a surprise after hearing of my dad's encounters flying him.

Back