Fun 3 day Scenic Trip - Grand Canyon to Moab, UT

Jim02U

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jim02U
Here are links to some photos from my flying trip this past week. I covered 1275 miles and saw an amazing amount of beautiful scenery that only the SW part of the USA has to offer.

On Wed morning, I flew from Tucson under Phoenix Class B, over Prescott and direct to the Grand Canyon, where I flew a course West to East, skirting the South Rim no fly zones. I called in and flew over Grand Canyon (GCN) airport and then flew up the east end of the Canyon to Marble Canyon and on into Page, where I flew around Lake Powell and shot some photos before landing at Page, where I stayed over night.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115000...gCKCqq_HvnYfueA#slideshow/5720857130419258690

On Thurs morning I decided to fly up to Bryce Canyon before heading to Moab and flew East from there over to Cal Black (U96) where I added fuel. From there I followed the River area up to Moab, flying over Canyonlands National Park. I stayed over with my daughter Angela and her family at Sorrel River Ranch, where they were staying to run the Moab Marathon on Saturday.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115000...CLiao5-P2PmXigE#slideshow/5720949971531065154

On Friday I headed home a little after noon, due to the weekend forecast being bad all over the SW. I flew back down to Cal Black and topped off, detoured over to Monument Valley, flew direct from there to Winslow and direct to La Cholla airpark (57AZ). It was a trip I'll always remember.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115000...gCNeHx-zBhMqBaw#slideshow/5720967976796212834

My all time favorite trip included those places; I never get tired of looking at that part of the country - thanks.

Thanks for all the compliments. It was really a fun trip with beautiful, but changing scenery the whole time.

Wow this is awesome. I need to post about my XC too (with photos). Though they pale in comparison to yours. Super pretty flying.

Thanks for the preview....KBDN (Bend OR) to KCNY is one of our planned spring trips. Great photos.

One problem with CNY is how far it is from Moab... about 18 miles. They have rentals available there and you'll need one if staying overnight. Fortunately I had a ride. I stayed overnight at Page, AZ (PGA) and there the FBO will take you to the hotel ... less than a mile. I rode my folding bike to/from the hotel and around town in the afternoon. Good luck with you planned trip.

One problem with CNY is how far it is from Moab... about 18 miles. They have rentals available there and you'll need one if staying overnight. Fortunately I had a ride. I stayed overnight at Page, AZ (PGA) and there the FBO will take you to the hotel ... less than a mile. I rode my folding bike to/from the hotel and around town in the afternoon. Good luck with you planned trip.

Great FBO at Page AZ. We stopped in for a lunch time fuel stop and they took us to a great lunch resturant with instructions to call for the return trip, or an easy walk back, less than a mile.

I have been looking at car rental rates there and am still quivering. They are about twice what we spent in Maui a few months back. Any idea why? My guess is that they have to bring them in from another spot since I would assume most visitors drive to Moab. Any idea?

yes the rentals for cny come from Moab, miles away and you are lucky to get one at any price. I recall having to contact them later about a problem with my bill, too.

Back