Full video- Italian Plane that crashed on the Beach and Rescue

Midair collision at the same beach + alternate angle of ditched landing.

Video Links

This just was not a good day to be flying in Italy.

Actually, nicely done getting the tailwheel down first.

Too bad he decided against the hard-packed sand.

Seemed devoid of beachgoers, but can't know for sure what he saw.

Yea, I would've tried to get away from the water, if possible. Especially with a canopy like that.

oh heck, I would have greased that landing and then stood on the wing and given the crowd a bow.

/snark

I don't know if I would want to risk this http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/14/us-usa-florida-crash-idUSKBN0GE26520140814

People move around and aren't always easy to see at a distance. Of course with my luck I'd choose the surf and land on top of a bunch of surfers. :mad2:

From that article:
Ommy Irizarry and his daughter were in water that was about four feet deep.

That's roughly the same depth as this video, actually on second viewing 4' is even deeper than this one.

OK Fine :(

article-2646121-1E67F5D000000578-593_634x472.jpg

The two that collided appeared to be somewhat tangled and went straight in. This one was a different plane. What an unlucky airshow that was.

That's pretty much what I'd expect to happen in almost any fixed-gear plane. Slow it as much as possible and expect to egress an inverted airplane. It would sure suck to die in water that shallow (not that it wouldn't suck to die in other conditions :D ) but it only takes a few feet.

I've seen two different answers. I'm not sure.

After seeing some other videos, I am pretty sure it is.

The planes were in a tight formation, one inverted above the other, canopy to canopy Top Gun style. Somehow they got tangled up. They stuck together for a bit until one came apart and went into the water. This one was able to make it down. If you look closely, on some videos, you can see a lot of leading edge damage on the outer half of the left wing.

https://youtu.be/MlxhazrsZNg

Last edited:
I stand corrected. That is a much better video there Matthew. Also an amazing feat of piloting to rescue that!

That's pretty much what I'd expect to happen in almost any fixed-gear plane. Slow it as much as possible and expect to egress an inverted airplane. It would sure suck to die in water that shallow (not that it wouldn't suck to die in other conditions :D ) but it only takes a few feet.

Although in this case, I think the crowd managed to lift the plane and rescue the dude.

Look at the crowds watching… no wonder he wasn't willing to risk the beach. Did he flip from impacting the water or from the shallowness? Looks like the nose wheel hit the bottom and then he flipped. I'm gonna be over water with life jackets in a fixed gear this summer. Didn't make me feel good about ditching.

Last edited:
Hard to tell for sure but looked as if the other aircraft was trying to roll out of the maneuver. If so not enough separation to do that. Bad deal all the way around. Could have also stalled while inverted. Most likely will never know.

No nosewheel.

He got as slow as possible and dragged the tailwheel in first.

The friction of the main gear hitting the water flipped it, as it will most fixed gear planes.

No, the odds on a tricycle staying upright are pretty good since the primary drag is behind the CG. If they go into the water in a nice full stall landing, they typically stay upright IIRC.

No, the odds on a tricycle staying upright are pretty good since the primary drag is behind the CG. If they go into the water in a nice full stall landing, they typically stay upright IIRC.

Was this guy a little fast?

Was this guy a little fast?

Not really, he three pointed in which is close to if not in stall which is perfect, but he had conventional gear where the CG is behind the gear. This is also why they ground loop and will nose over on soft ground or heavy braking.

Anyone else notice all those people run really funny?

Anyone else notice all those people run really funny?

Maybe 'cause they're not carrying an extra 50 pounds????

You would run funny too if you were vacationing on the Adriatic! Italians are great; Italy ia wonderful and a great place to fly, as long as you stay on grass and at club fields.

They're Italians. My stewardess last summer when we were in Italy said all Italian guys sound gay.:lol:

She was just trying to be nice (to you)…. A sure warning signal that they turned her on!

Last edited:
Back