FULL THROTTLE, John Deakin

j1b3h0

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Doug
I'm still about ten pages from finishing but I've enjoyed every page. Deakin, with whom some will be familiar because of his well founded seminars on LOP engine operation, is a 35,000hr pilot who's flown a lot of airplanes that really require a pilot aboard. Beech 18s, Curtis C-46s, to name a couple. He got hired by the CIA as an Air America pilot at the impressionable age of 23 or 24, and thrust in to Laos during the 1960s. He then got hired by Japan Air Lines, where he amassed over 21,000hrs in the 747 alone - almost 19,000 as Captain. After his retirement, he got involved with the Comemorative Air Force, and as a guy with some verifiable round-motor, tailwheel street cred, has managed to get his hands on just about everything in their fleet: C-46, B-29, F8F, Seafury and many others. And he spends some time expaining to the reader what it's like to check out in and fly.
Like any high-time pilot, Deakin has had some very entertaining (read downright frightening) flights during his colorful career. He shares many of them in this fine book. I highly recommend it.

What's with the Amazon price? Out of print or something. YGBSM, $150.

Amazon doesn't have Deakin's book...they're just passing through prices at independent dealers that can be mindboggingly outrageous. My wife had similar fun trying to find Gerrie Mock's book until some store inadvertently priced it under $50 (it is out of print and Gerrie was staying at our house so we wanted one for her to sign).

There's a lot of good aviation books that are barely available via used outlets anymore... :(

There's a lot of good aviation books that are barely available via used outlets anymore... :(

Too bad. I got 'Fly the Biggest Piece Back' (Johnson flying service) used for a decent price a few years back.

Amazon doesn't have Deakin's book...they're just passing through prices at independent dealers that can be mindboggingly outrageous. My wife had similar fun trying to find Gerrie Mock's book until some store inadvertently priced it under $50 (it is out of print and Gerrie was staying at our house so we wanted one for her to sign).

I've seen the used book sellers scanning bar codes at the thrift stores, looking for 'gems'.

Send an e-mail to John at his Advanced Pilot Seminar address. Last I saw, he would sign and ship it. Read it a couple years ago. Some great stuff from a wonderful fella.

Best,

Dave

Yep, that's how I got my copy: from the author...autographed!

Back