Full throttle concerns -182A

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
I recently started a soaring operation. My tow plane is a 182A pulling a Blanik L-23. Not the lightest glider out there. 1200# gross.

I had an experienced tow pilot fly with me for three tows so I'd be current.

When I began to reduce power from take-off setting to climb setting he told me I needed to leave it "balls to the walls". I've never done that before. I always reduce to the top of the green (23" & 2400RPM) once I'm 500 or so AGL.

I know the old "never fly over square" has been de-bunked but wide open for the 15 or so minutes it takes to get to 3,000 AGL?

I should mention that the CHT & oil temp all stayed well within the green arcs. Maybe all that extra fuel from the wide open throttle helped keep thing cool.

Opinions?

No full throttle limits on an 0-470. Fuel keeps
it cool. Balls to the wall. If noise is a concern twist the prop down to 2500 but leave throttle all in.

15 minutes to 3000'????

Setting aside the fact you are towing a glider now, when you say you reduce power at 500 AGL what does that do to your climb rate?

I have never changed throttle or prop settings on climb after take off until I am levelling off. I want the highest practical climb rate I can maintain. Altitude is the safety bank.

Wide open is fine. The green arc on an O-470 powered C-182 is marked for "normal operations" but is not a limitation. Use what you need for performance.

No full throttle limits on an 0-470. Fuel keeps
it cool. Balls to the wall. If noise is a concern twist the prop down to 2500 but leave throttle all in.

15 minutes to 3000'????

15 minutes was just a wild *ss guess. I'll check this weekend when we fly again. Some flights are only to 1,00 AGL. They don't take long. We call them "pattern shots".

Yes, full throttle! Especially down low, slow, and pulling a glider. The extra fuel delivered by the FT carburetor enrichment circuit will help keep CHTs down.

I did a little towing with my C-182 when it belonged to the previous owner. If I recall, we left it balls to the wall for the entire climb. However, we were towing a Discus sailplane that could handle a 100+ mph tow speed, which kept a little more air blowing over the engine. If I had to tow any slower than about 90 mph, I might have some pause about staying at max power for the duration of the tow. On a hot day, climbing slow, I would suspect the engine might get pretty warm. I have little experience, so don't take my word for it. I'm a big fan of keeping my Continental on the cool side if I can,

Full throttle dude. Yes, you are going cut cylinder life and need a top overhaul doing towing.

Back