Full throttle after engine rebuild

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/11/pilot_killed_in_blairstown_cra.html

This is the first time this aircraft was attempted to be run after an engine rebuild due to a gear up landing. A really great guy from what I hear from his friends. My boss was going to do an annual for him and we were trying to get a time together to bring the plane to the shop, but weather and schedules were getting in the way. I was leaving time over the weekend to take him home if he brought it over.

It looks like the aircraft went straight across the runway, at significant power, according to witnesses. The engine departed the aircraft and traveled another 15-20 feet past the point of impact.

That would take a fair amount of force, would it not?

Looks like it may have been just barely airborne when it impacted the trees, and the fwf separated.

RIP

The bulk of the plane was stopped by the tree. The engine is heavy and wants to continue on forward. If you look, the entire FWF is gone (not just the engine). The older Navion engines mount to two rails that come forward from the firewall and the cowl skins mount to that as well so this isn't surprising. He might not really have gotten airborne, but bouncing across rough terrain at full power probably broken the rails.

Alas, Navions never had shoulder harnesses from the factory and after market installations are problematic due to the sliding canopy. Hitting a tree like that at full power is not going to be a good outcome. I've got shoulder harnesses in mine. Not the most optimal installation but they would avoid the flailing against the panel that this guy suffered.

Pure speculation, but is it possible he was not using the seatbelts since this was supposed to be just an engine run up?

Pure speculation, but is it possible he was not using the seatbelts since this was supposed to be just an engine run up?

Almost seems like he may have been incapacitated in some way right from the outset. The plane travelled some distance and does not seem either throttle or mixture was used to kill the RPM?

Not familiar with Navions, but the only time I try to start my engine with fully open trottle is if I believe I have flooded it.

Any number of possibilities if this was the first start after reinstall - cable mixup to brake issue. Rather than speculate, let's wait for the report.

The article mentioned a gear up landing, a year ago I think. Was he the pilot when that occurred? Just curious.

Back