Full stops when cleared for the option

Maulrus

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Maulrus
Now I know that being cleared for the option encompasses full stops as well, but my instructor has me in the habit of notifying the tower that we'll be making a full stop after we've been doing touch-n-goes even though the tower has always cleared us for the option. Is it preferable to do this, or is it as unnecessary as "request frequency change" when leaving the Class D?

What harm could it possibly do? It doesn't take up any more radio time. It lets them know to watch for ground traffic at a possible runway exit. And in my opinion, it's just courteous.

Totally a technique but it's one that I do. They wouldn't clear you for the opton if they weren't prepared for you to execute a FS. Usually if they can't give you the option then they'll give you a restriction such as a low approach at or above 500 ft. The reason that I do it because it gives the controller some time to coordinate with ground control where you are going. For instance he might come back and say "where will you be parking at today?" Now he can take your flight strip and give it to the ground controller and say "Cessna 12345 will be coming off rwy 18 for the transient ramp." Plus he might have a particular taxiway he wants you to come off for traffic taxiing outbound. If just gives the local controller some more time to plan for your arrival. Still not mandatory that you tell them though.

Yes requesting a freq change is unecessary. Sometimes I do it with twr as almost a "see ya later" type thing if they're not busy. Realize though if you're still in their airspace you have to request a change.

Now I know that being cleared for the option encompasses full stops as well, but my instructor has me in the habit of notifying the tower that we'll be making a full stop after we've been doing touch-n-goes even though the tower has always cleared us for the option. Is it preferable to do this, or is it as unnecessary as "request frequency change" when leaving the Class D?

I don't understand how clear concise communication is ever a negative. If a bunch of aircraft are in the pattern and everyone is doing touch and gos, letting the tower know you're stop and go, is probably a good thing for spacing. In complex aircraft that is my SOP and I always let them know.

I don't understand how clear concise communication is ever a negative. If a bunch of aircraft are in the pattern and everyone is doing touch and gos, letting the tower know you're stop and go, is probably a good thing for spacing. In complex aircraft that is my SOP and I always let them know.

Clear communications are most definitely not a negative. I guess the reason I asked was I thought it might be undesirable on a busy frequency; of course, now that I'm saying it, I can't imagine I'd even be clogging up the pattern on such a hypothetically busy day, so the point is basically moot. Thanks for the all answers on a pretty unnecessary question!

Stop and go and full stop are two different things. I wouldn't mention a stop and go unless I was planning to sit on the runway for a while reconfiguring the airplane. I generally DO mention that I'm going to be full stop. I think that it helps them plan ahead a bit to where they're going to have you exit, etc. Not necessary, just manners. I just wait for them to clear me for the option and then I respond "38J cleared option. full stop this time" That way you don't even have to make an extra call but it gives them a heads up.

Stop and go and full stop are two different things. I wouldn't mention a stop and go unless I was planning to sit on the runway for a while reconfiguring the airplane. I generally DO mention that I'm going to be full stop. I think that it helps them plan ahead a bit to where they're going to have you exit, etc. Not necessary, just manners. I just wait for them to clear me for the option and then I respond "38J cleared option. full stop this time" That way you don't even have to make an extra call but it gives them a heads up.

Gives the Local controller a second to wake up the Ground controller. ;)

This is what I do. At the class C field where I'm based, tower and ground always seem to be the same controller, so that makes it easier I guess.

I had a tower get a little worked up at me once, because he cleared me for the option and I let him know that I would be full stop and taxing back to take-off. He said "I cleared you for the option", so I guess he completed expected whatever I could through at him?

Unnecessary radio transmission, but...if he's got time to authorize the option then odds are he's slow enough to not mind the extra information. I'd not tell him what it's going to be when he's already cleared me to do whatever I want, but whatever...it's not a big deal either way.

I just landed at KLAS and tower told me to taxi to Atlantic with him (no route given). There are two parallel taxi ways to take. His clearance allowed me to decide which to take and when to cross over to the other taxi way. Do you think I keyed the mike and told him which route I was going to take? Of course not. Would it have been wrong for me to do so? Nope. Sorta the same thing as the OP really.

PS. Back to the option thing. If the tower was slammed on another runway and you're on another practice runway by yourself I'd definitely NOT be clogging up the radio with telling him which option I was planning to do.

When cleared for the option I usually tell him I'm going to be "full stop / taxi to (hangar location)" if it's not too busy. That way right after my rollout he can issue turnoff and taxi instructions and be done with me.

I kind of had to learn about "the option" when I changed from my primary training airport to my current one. There's a lot of training at the first airport and they hardly ever "clear for the option". They ask what you're gonna do.

Same here, just a quick heads up is all incase someone enters the pattern in the intervening time he knows what to expect of me.

Back