full day/overnight cross country flight

To anybody who is willing:

For me (500 hours VFR, no IR) this flight is a no go.

Look at this display from the NWS web site:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...extField2=-75.71950&site=all&unit=0&dd=0&bw=0

First, this is going to be an uncomfortable flight. Temps and particularly the dewpoints are definitely in the uncomfortable range.

Then look at the probability of precipitation line. Now click on the "Forward 2 days" button. You could be stuck there for a long time.

This would probably be a doable flight with an IR. Don't have one? Don't go.

-Skip

Most rational FBOs and clubs won't penalize a renter that's delayed by weather. To do otherwise invites unsafe behavior.

They may well penalize a pilot who makes poor decisions and gets caught by WX though.

IIRC we also have a VFR only max range.

For me (500 hours VFR, no IR) this flight is a no go.

Look at this display from the NWS web site:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...extField2=-75.71950&site=all&unit=0&dd=0&bw=0

First, this is going to be an uncomfortable flight. Temps and particularly the dewpoints are definitely in the uncomfortable range.

Then look at the probability of precipitation line. Now click on the "Forward 2 days" button. You could be stuck there for a long time.

This would probably be a doable flight with an IR. Don't have one? Don't go.

-Skip

I agree with you on all levels. Thanks for the link by the way, very helpful. The only thing I will say is that the weather system moving in shouldn't take effect until Sunday night at the earliest. I was thinking about maybe flying down there around 7 am and returning around 11 am. What do you think? Still a no go?

The only wx forecast I really trust is the one I get that day, and sometimes they're wrong too. The big thing for me is the premium to get back that day. I don't know what the conditions will be, but they may well be below the conditions through which you should be flying.

I agree with you on all levels. Thanks for the link by the way, very helpful. The only thing I will say is that the weather system moving in shouldn't take effect until Sunday night at the earliest. I was thinking about maybe flying down there around 7 am and returning around 11 am. What do you think? Still a no go?

Back home by 11AM looks to be a go. Obviously subject to last minute updates on the WX. Never be afraid to cancel your flight, even up to the hold short line. If you are not comfortable, don't launch.

But you need some time to explore the museum and grounds at FFA....

-Skip

Back home by 11AM looks to be a go. Obviously subject to last minute updates on the WX. Never be afraid to cancel your flight, even up to the hold short line. If you are not comfortable, don't launch.

But you need some time to explore the museum and grounds at FFA....

-Skip

Thanks for all of your input. I went ahead and canceled. It is too expensive of a flight for me to only spend a couple hours down there. I actually went tonight instead just to take care of the itch to go flying. Had my first really embarrassing moment on the radio when the tower told me to contact ground. I acknowledged, and proceeded to contact the tower again for my taxi clearance. :(

Had my first really embarrassing moment on the radio when the tower told me to contact ground. I acknowledged, and proceeded to contact the tower again for my taxi clearance. :(

We've all done that. You have MANY worse radio moments coming ,trust me.

David,

Here is what I did at about 80 hrs TT in 2008. I purchased a Garmin 496 with Aviator Light XM Wx($35). One of the best decisions I ever made. Next best thing...built an RV-10 so I would not have to rent. At 225 hrs I still use it every single flight along with Foreflight. In addition to that here are the other items I check out: Weather Channel, NWS Area Forecast Discussion, Unisys K-Index, Unisys CAPE, NAM - US - Rel Hum/Lift - 4Panel, MAV MOS CEILING HEIGHT (FT), MAV MOS VISIBILITY (MI) and 1-800-wxb-rief. Do a search and bookmark them. Have fun and be safe.

Had my first really embarrassing moment on the radio when the tower told me to contact ground. I acknowledged, and proceeded to contact the tower again for my taxi clearance. :(

Not a big deal. Even the airline folks do that on a semi-regular basis!

Back