Fuel Tank Refurb

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
I bought my plane already knowing it had a weeping inboard tank. I called up Hartwig to get some info. Was a bit shocked they said it would be 10 weeks. I know it's a lot of rivets, but still. Any pireps on Hartwig or going with someone else?

Anyone want to lend me their plane while I am without one for 3 months this winter? :(

Rivets?? no bag??

At least it’s winter you’ll be missing and not summer?

If I can get one bought, I'll come take you for a ride.

Mental note......make sure fuel tanks don't leak when inspecting plane.....

If I can get one bought, I'll come take you for a ride.

Mental note......make sure fuel tanks don't leak when inspecting plane.....
I am starting my list of things I can get done while plane is down. Install Tanis heater, maybe reupholster seats, mag maintenance, replace hoses, etc....

Piper wing Tom. All aluminum. No bags.
Then what are you sealing?
As I read this, pulling the tank is the easy part. most it is simply a job to determine what is leaking, most commonly an old hose.

Then what are you sealing?
As I read this, pulling the tank is the easy part. most it is simply a job to determine what is leaking, most commonly an old hose.
The fuel is leaking through a few rivets. The sealant inside the tank is compromised. They have tried to fix rivets in the past. Time to stop patching and do it right.

The fuel is leaking through a few rivets. The sealant inside the tank is compromised. They have tried to fix rivets in the past. Time to stop patching and do it right.
time to see if a scavenge yard has good one.
also I can repair

Unfortunately, Skycraft is no longer repairing fuel tanks - did mine back in 2002. But check with Woodstock at 845-583-5830.

Unfortunately, Skycraft is no longer repairing fuel tanks - did mine back in 2002. But check with Woodstock at 845-583-5830.
Woodstock is running about 1/3 the lead time and 1/3 the cost. Maybe Hartwig's process is just overkill? Guess I'm going with Woodstock unless someone has some bad experiences to share.

If I had the chance to have Tom Downey repair... pretty much anything ... I'd be happy with that.

time to see if a scavenge yard has good one.
also I can repair
Piper fuel tanks are all individuals. Not interchangeable. If by chance a salvaged tank should line up and fit decent, the screw holes won't line up.

Piper fuel tanks are all individuals. Not interchangeable. If by chance a salvaged tank should line up and fit decent, the screw holes won't line up.
Who says? make and model please.

It's a Piper, not a Beechcraft. The screw holes probably don't line up on the tanks that are on the plane. It's supposed to be that way with Pipers. :p
(I've owned 5 of the them...)

If I had the chance to have Tom Downey repair... pretty much anything ... I'd be happy with that.

Better do it quick...before he convinces Barbara to let him buy a boat and sail away.

Does anyone have knowledge of fiberglass tanks in a Cessna 182? I've heard they were made by Monarch but I think they went out of business. Someone must have information.. it's a 1971 C-182 that came with bladder tanks but now has no bladders and the tank is obviously made of fiberglass.

I bought my plane already knowing it had a weeping inboard tank. I called up Hartwig to get some info. Was a bit shocked they said it would be 10 weeks. I know it's a lot of rivets, but still. Any pireps on Hartwig or going with someone else?

Anyone want to lend me their plane while I am without one for 3 months this winter? :(

My Piper Warrior had a leak about 3 years ago and I used Woodstock Aircraft Services. Took a few weeks, but definitely not 10.

Back