Fuel Stop Atlanta to Indianapolis

Somedudeintn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
somedudeintn
Tomorrow I'm planning on flying from KLZU to KIND in a 172 if the weather forecast looks ok. I did this flight about a year ago in a da20 and stopped at KLOU on the way up and KCHA on the way back, but I'm looking for some quicker options this time around.

Any suggestions on a good stop? Thanks for the advice.

Can't make it with full tanks? Well... I'm not sure I'd trust a rental to make that trip non-stop either.

I'm showing a couple of fields halfway inbetween with gas for $3.75 (K24 & KAAS).

I was gonna say KLOU but if you want somewhere else, I can't help you. I like LOU as its easy in and out to the SS pumps and decent prices on fuel.
Clean bathrooms in FBO as well.

I would loose my mind flying that far in a172 though.

Can't make it with full tanks? Well... I'm not sure I'd trust a rental to make that trip non-stop either.

I'm showing a couple of fields halfway inbetween with gas for $3.75 (K24 & KAAS).

Well with the forecast headwind I could make it but would not have legal VFR reserves. Really the reason I'm getting fuel is because I don't want you all to talk bad about me if I run out of gas. See, sometimes peer pressure is a good thing.

I was gonna say KLOU but if you want somewhere else, I can't help you. I like LOU as its easy in and out to the SS pumps and decent prices on fuel.
Clean bathrooms in FBO as well.

I would loose my mind flying that far in a172 though.

I may consider them again. Last time I did full service and I remember having to wait a bit, I did not remember there being a self service pump.

Hopefully in a few years I can pick up something faster, but for now it's the club 172. I was going to go in the 150 but the 172 just became available today. Should be better than doing the flight in the da20. Those seats got really uncomfortable after about an hour.

Last edited:
Without looking at the direct line, you should pass near the WV/KY/OH TriState area. HTS is easy in and out, class D with radar; KPMH just to the northwest has GPS approaches both ways and a VOR approach, too, with an in field restaurant. Neither is an especially busy place; PMH is 5000' long.

Don't need to make the fuel stop near the end, just somewhere easy to get in and out.

Well with the forecast headwind I could make it but would not have legal VFR reserves. Really the reason I'm getting fuel is because I don't want you all to talk bad about me if I run out of gas. See, sometimes peer pressure is a good thing.
I haven't glanced at tomorrow's forecast but if it was showing less than 30 minutes of fuel remaining, there is no way I'd make that flight. My latest TAF is showing OVC 3,500 tomorrow at 8:00am.

I'm sure you've done your homework. Have fun!

I haven't glanced at tomorrow's forecast but if it was showing less than 30 minutes of fuel remaining, there is no way I'd make that flight. My latest TAF is showing OVC 3,500 tomorrow at 8:00am.

I'm sure you've done your homework. Have fun!

Yea, I don't think I've ever landed with less than an hours worth of fuel.

Thanks for the info. Based on the GFS MOS Ceiling Forecast it looks like the conditions will be improving throughout the day and I'm not planning on leaving until the afternoon. If the conditions aren't good I'll cancel, I really don't have any pressure to make the flight.

I guess I could use a little extra motivation to hurry up and finish my instrument rating. Got the written done, just need 2 more hours of instrument time and to study for the oral. Scheduling has been tough these last few weeks and I've been slacking.

Be wary of the thunderstorms in the afternoon. I had enough fun dealing with them coming back from CHS just after lunch.

I re checked the satallite picnic and there is SS at KLOU. it's between tower and FBO.
but FlyQ says its 5.xx a gallon. a couple taps and French LIce IN is a little furthe NW and they were reported at 3.85/gal. plus you can say you've been to French lick.....

KEKX, Elizabethtown, KY
KBWG Bowling Green, KY
M54 Lebanon, TN

KJVY - across the river from LOU, $4.95

KBRY - 26 nm south, $4.19, watch for gliders

KIMS - 33 nm NE, $3.75, watch power lines, new runway lights/AWOS/fuel island

All uncontrolled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I may consider them again. Last time I did full service and I remember having to wait a bit, I did not remember there being a self service pump.

Hopefully in a few years I can pick up something faster, but for now it's the club 172. I was going to go in the 150 but the 172 just became available today. Should be better than doing the flight in the da20. Those seats got really uncomfortable after about an hour.

Did a 750nm XC one day in a da20... after my second fuel stop I just wanted to lay down in the FBO and let my back muscles relax :(

edit: no autopilot

Did a 750nm XC one day in a da20... after my second fuel stop I just wanted to lay down in the FBO and let my back muscles relax :(

edit: no autopilot

I flew my Vintage Mooney from FXE to HTW in about 6-1/2 hours, with one combined lunch/fuel stop. Felt pretty good when I got back (I was living in WV then). Part of it was the Halo headset, purchased especially for the trip. Spent one night going down, so I could arrive around noon.

I'm not sure about the winds yesterday but today looks to be tad calmer. Of course looks like some T-storm activity this morning in and around INDY. But regardless I would have thought if you leaned out 172 you could get better range than that. Of course if you are trying to fly it at full speed and race a Bonanza then yeah your going to need a fuel stop. But I would keep an eye on the weather more than fuel it looks like. Are you IR rated? This time of year storms can spring up out of nowhere. Kinda makes cross country planning aggravating. But good luck on your trip!

I'm not sure about the winds yesterday but today looks to be tad calmer. Of course looks like some T-storm activity this morning in and around INDY. But regardless I would have thought if you leaned out 172 you could get better range than that. Of course if you are trying to fly it at full speed and race a Bonanza then yeah your going to need a fuel stop. But I would keep an eye on the weather more than fuel it looks like. Are you IR rated? This time of year storms can spring up out of nowhere. Kinda makes cross country planning aggravating. But good luck on your trip!

It does look like the headwinds died down a few knots over what was predicted, but I'd rather not slow down too much, because even then I'd be pushing it pretty close. This is a 172/180 and I'm conservatively using 10gph for my calculation. If there is one thing I don't mess around with, it's low fuel. I'm obviously considering the weather, but I really was just seeing if anyone, based on their experience, had a good spot to recommend to stop at.

Unfortunately, the updated forecasts are making me lean towards cancelling this trip as it looks like the weather will go south pretty quick around Indy on Sunday. This trip was planned with the premise of being able to fly back Sunday or Monday, as it stands now it looks like the only return window would be on Saturday. I'm thinking it's not worth making the trip for 1 day AND having limited options for return if the actual weather doesn't match the forecast.

I'm close on my IR, and even if I had it I'm still not sure I'd make the trip. I will continue to monitor the weather and see if I could have a few good non-convective IFR windows to return on Sunday/Monday if I did have the IR. I'll use this as a bit of a case study. Once I get my IR, I'll start off pretty conservatively with the weather I'm willing to fly in.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

KRZR might be a better fuel stop than CHA. About 12nm northeast, new facilities and a beautiful FBO.

Thanks everyone. Delta ended up cutting their fare in half so I bought a ticket and am on my way to be a passenger in the sky. A bit disappointed, but at least I get to enjoy the weekend with family and not have to worry about the weather.

Happy 4th to everyone and thank you to all those who serve, or have served in the military to keep our country free!

TangoWhiskey shared a neet trick with Skyvector....

If you go to the Layers tab and FBO's you can put in the typical amount of fuel you put in. Then Skyvector will show you what you will pay for the entire load, not just single gallon.

SkyVector Prices.PNG

Back