fuel stability testing

Eamon

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Eamon
I had a 25ft Luhrs inboard sportfisher boat. Fiberglass bottom, wood top. I last used it the summer of 1999 and then dry hauled it to my tenets yard where it sat till 2007.

It had two 40 gal fuel tanks. One was topped, one was 1/4 when parked. To junk it, I had to pull the tanks. The liquid in 1/4 one looked horrible so I was used as week killer. The liquid in the full tank looked ok and had a medium smell to it...Hummm...

The first test subject was my 5hp lawn mower. Fill it up & it cut the whole lawn.

I got braver & the next subject was my 1989 350 chevy carbed no Cat Pick Up Truck. 10 gal in the tank & it ran just fine but the exhaust smelt weird.

Next subject was my 1969 Buick 350 gobbled up the remaining 30 gallons with only a slight ping under heavy acceleration.

So the logical conclusion for me is that gasoline in large quantitys with minimal venting or exposure to air can last for quite a while, 7 years in this case.

I'd be more worried about the fiberglass breaking down and dissolving into the gas, than the gas destabilizing.

I would NOT try this with the scut they sell as gas now, in major metro areas; it is pre-contaminated with ethanol. Bad, bad news.

Back