Fuel return line for C182 F.I. retrofits

CA182R

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CA182R
A few thoughts I wanted to share. Didn't want to distract another thread about fuel balance in C172. I researched (ie. browsed some forums) fuel-injection retrofit options for C182.

• The Peterson Continental IO-550 upgrade, along with the Airplains IO-550 upgrade, seem to return the excess fuel back directly to one of the main tanks (or so I read), the right wing tank. I wonder if these two options suffer from a heavy wing, and to what degree.
  • The Bendix/RSA STC, now owned by Precision Airmotive, doesn't use a return line at all... I wonder what the implications of not having fuel return are (worse hot starts?). Well, I know the retrofit is simpler than the other upgrade options.

Looking at the POH of the 182T to see how the fuel return is accomplished with the official Cessna fuel-injection implementation, I read this: "A portion of the fuel (approximately 7 gallons/hour) is returned to the wing tank currently selected through the use of the fuel return system". The drawing shows the return line going to both wing tanks, based on the fuel selector.

I like the RSA option for myself, except I don't like that it's based on an old outdated STC. I don't know why Precision Airmotive doesn't make a proper STC package.

My Peterson IO-470 upgrade returns fuel to the right tank, as I understand it. I switch to the right tank in cruise if needed to maintain balance. Not really a big deal. I’ve learned to manage fuel so on landing after a long flight I’m within 3-4 gallons on each side. I’m using old timey fuel gauges too.

I think OP should familiarize themself with how each system functions.

The Bendix RSA System goes back about 60 years.

The TCM System and it’s predecessor originated about 15 years before that.

While they function completely different I see no reason to favor one over the other.

Managing 2 tanks should not be a big deal.

All TCM injection systems use a header tank, and the fuel is returned to it, not a main tank, UNLESS the selector is a dual-function affair that sends fuel back to the tank in use.

The Air Plains conversion installs a header tank.

RSA provides for a return line. The early 172R/S didn't have one. An SK kit is available to convert it. Later production airplanes have it.

Back