Fuel remaining is missing after JPI firmware upgrade

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
I went to the airport today to pull the engine data off of my EDM-830 and I decided since I was going to be out there messing with it, that I would update the firmware on it too. The upgrades seemed to work fine but now my fuel remaining has a big X on it. Everything else, including the fuel flow, showing GPH seems to function as expected. I'll give tech support a call tomorrow, but thought I'd ask here too.

I went to the airport today to pull the engine data off of my EDM-830 and I decided since I was going to be out there messing with it, that I would update the firmware on it too. The upgrades seemed to work fine but now my fuel remaining has a big X on it. Everything else, including the fuel flow, showing GPH seems to function as expected. I'll give tech support a call tomorrow, but thought I'd ask here too.

Had the same happen to me. Went to settings and took a picture with my phone of every screen as I flipped thought all the settings specially the K factors for the fuel sensor. Went back to settings and chose option to reset to factory settings. It will keep the latest firmware but you have to go back and renter the k value for the fuel sensor. Check all the other setting screens to make sure nothing changed. After that I got back the fuel remaining and it has been working great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do u get with the new firmware? It's been working great, hate to break it with a update

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks so much Perezhr, I'll try your technique in the morning, hopefully that'll get me going without too much trouble.

I haven't seen a changelog for each version, so I'm not sure what the differences are. I did notice a "fuel used" feature available now for switching tanks after so many gallons, but maybe that was there before and I didn't set it up. The interface looks a tad different now as well, with some different coloring. I was previously using a version that was probably 3 years old though.

Yay for software quality. :)

Sorry, nothing useful to add, I just hate the state of modern software, even though it keeps me in my day job. LOL.

JPI does not post a change log so nobody knows what the upgrades do.
I called JPI and asked. The tech asked me if you unit was working OK. I said yes, he replied "then you don't need to upgrade"

JPI does not post a change log so nobody knows what the upgrades do.
I called JPI and asked. The tech asked me if you unit was working OK. I said yes, he replied "then you don't need to upgrade"
That's the best answer. After working 20 yrs in IT that's my typical answer too

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I was able to resolve this with Perezhr's information. Resetting it actually didn't seem to work at first and I kept scratching my head, but I finally switched the hard toggle switch provided with the JPI unit down to "Fuel Flow" mode (coupled with the reset) and that finally may have done the trick. Anyhow, everything appears to be working fine again. Thanks!

My firmware in my 730 was pretty old (probably 4 years). After the update, I did noticed a few things with the menus that made it more intuitive. For example, when adding fuel, but not filling up, it now walks you through it. Also when leaning and you hit peak now it directly shows you degrees rich or lean of peak better than before. I think they just cleaned up the menus a bit to make things a bit more intuitive. Also looks like the firmware for 730 and 830 are now the same so you also have to chose in the settings if you have a 730 or 830. It will really screw up how things look in your display if you have the wrong setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back