Fuel Pump Failure?

Rob58

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
On the last flight in the Bellanca we experienced a sudden power loss with the IO-470. Switching tanks did not solve the problem, however turning the boost pump on high brought the engine back to life. Validated this same condition on a couple more occasions. Of course the engine driven pump seems like the obvious source of the problem, however I remember (but cannot find) some previous posts discussing this situation and suggesting that other components might be involved as well. Any feedback and comments would be much appreciated!

I was flying a Lance many years ago climbing out south of ATL around 3-4K when the engine quit. I immediately turned the electric fuel pump on and it sprang back to life. I was IFR at the time and told ATC I needed to orbit over the airport at Atlanta Motor Speedway (forget the name). At 050 over the top I turned the electric fuel pump off and the engine quit. I turned it back on and landed at FFC. Our mechanic pulled the mechanical fuel pump and the splines were worn down from years of use so that the male end just spun free in the female end. New mechanical fuel pump and I was good to go.

My guess is this may be your problem.

It's likely the mechanical pump, but it also could be a leak in the lines. I had a case where we had replaced the boost pump and someone forgot to put a wrench to the fuel line going from the boost pump where it fits in the engine driven pump. The boost pump could override the air leak (at the expense of a fuel leak).

I was flying a Lance many years ago climbing out south of ATL around 3-4K when the engine quit. I immediately turned the electric fuel pump on and it sprang back to life. I was IFR at the time and told ATC I needed to orbit over the airport at Atlanta Motor Speedway (forget the name). At 050 over the top I turned the electric fuel pump off and the engine quit. I turned it back on and landed at FFC. Our mechanic pulled the mechanical fuel pump and the splines were worn down from years of use so that the male end just spun free in the female end. New mechanical fuel pump and I was good to go.

My guess is this may be your problem.

And you learned the old phrase, "If what you just did made it better, don't undo that thing..."?

Why in the world would you "test" it in IMC?

And you learned the old phrase, "If what you just did made it better, don't undo that thing..."?

Why in the world would you "test" it in IMC?
You confused IFR with IMC. I was VMC over the race track visual with the airport beneath me.

I just tested it to ensure it was the mechanical pump and not just water that passed through.

Back