Fuel Problem on my T206H

warwick

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Warwick
I have been trying to figure out why my 800 hour T206H - Millenium Edition - always stutters and splurts when the engine is hot - I dont mean over heating - she starts beautifully and idles like a dream for the first flight of the day but as you start up for a flight within 2 hours of shutting down she stutters like she isnt getting enough fuel, it goes away with the fuel pump on but hell that fuel pum is for emergencies! I have had the Fuel Servo's re-done, the fiuel lines replaced as well as insulating the fuel lines running alongside the engine - we thought it was vaporisation! the Cessna agents in my neck of the woods are seemingly at their wits end - any info will help thanks guys!

It's most likely 'vapor lock' stumbling from the fuel that's been vaporized in the hot system sitting, the fuel pump purges it and you're back to liquid fuel. No problems unless it keeps stuttering after the system is cleared. BTW the fuel pump is not just for emergencies. Unless the service guys are doing all this under warranty, I suspect you're being played as a chump. If it is under warranty then you are leaving information out of the description. Do you have to leave the pump on the whole flight?

Last edited:
Thanks Henning, is there a solution to this? I hit an updraft at the threshold of a short dirt strip a few weeks ago and as I gently applied throttle there was "that stutter" - I was full rich? I was also taking off from another dirt strip a month ago and had the same thing occur, I put the fuel pump on checked the mags - no problem there and then literally had to run the fuel pump for the take-off and was a little nervous to turn it off til we landed? I dont want to sound paranoid but a lot safer to ask these questions from the ground!

Just to answer your last question, no it doesnt clear after the fuel pum has been turned on, even after almost 3 minutes of running the fuel pump on the ground and yes I have been running the fuel pump on a second leg of a trip!

Thanks Henning, is there a solution to this? I hit an updraft at the threshold of a short dirt strip a few weeks ago and as I gently applied throttle there was "that stutter" - I was full rich? I was also taking off from another dirt strip a month ago and had the same thing occur, I put the fuel pump on checked the mags - no problem there and then literally had to run the fuel pump for the take-off and was a little nervous to turn it off til we landed? I dont want to sound paranoid but a lot safer to ask these questions from the ground!

Does that question mark belong there? I need more information here, I need altitudes most of all. You're a Turbo application so that introduces a couple of other possibilities such as a dragging turbo, it may have been slightly defective from the beginning. Where are you located?

If you had to leave the electric fuel pump on to be able to make power for a takeoff, that is not right unless you are way up in the mountains.

Just to answer your last question, no it doesnt clear after the fuel pum has been turned on, even after almost 3 minutes of running the fuel pump on the ground and yes I have been running the fuel pump on a second leg of a trip!

Hmmmm.... That gets more interesting then, this means there is a heat related restriction in your fuel flow prior to the mechanical pump. Is the Gascolator in the engine compartment on that plane? I'd start by taking that sucker apart looking for misplaced/seated parts and gaskets and work towards the engine from there opening and inspecting every fitting and joint. My bet is on the Gascolator being funky.

Hi Henning I am from South Africa, the question mark was there to ask you if you knew of a solution to this as not even the Cessna agents here can help - I have a 22 000 hour retired airline pilot who flies with me fairly often and even he has taken the aircraft up with a tecnician whilst it was spluttering. I operate out of a number of fields all at about 4500 ft GL. this spluttering to try and give you more data starts after the first flight of the day, it literally starts as I vacate the runway and start taxxiing and then the rest of the day is a nightmare - and yes running this fuel pump is not right! i have in addition had them re-check the fuel pump in the engine and no problem there.

Just another question that may be of some use here - apparently a few Lycoming engines were re-called shortly after they were put in the Cessna's was this a fuel related problem?

Has the plane had the problem since new? Are you the only owner?

I would completely (every little thing)disassemble the fuel system from the inlet of the gascolator to the inlet of the fuel pump. I'm betting on a funky gascolator as I said.

the 3rd owner, I know the rest of the guys and the AMO who worked on it - all good. They never reported having the same problem?????? Question marks because one never knows. I will try what you have advised and will let you know - thanks for taking the time to chat!

No worries, if I had a way to SoAfrica I'd be interested in chasing this one down, it sounds interesting.

Do we know that the fuel pump is in fact working and producing normal volume?

Do we know that the fuel distributor is reopening properly when hot and allowing the proper volumes of fuel to flow?

Do we know that the magnetos are OK and not creating a weak spark after cooking under the cowl for a while?

Dan

I have quite a bit of time in several T206H's. Idle performance with the Bendix fuel system is never really good. You mentioned a couple of scenarios where you were having a problem, more information would help. Field elevation, OAT, Mixture position, Aux. fuel pump position, RPM.

One thing I can say is that I NEVER go full rich at idle (even though the POH says to do so). Full rich at idle at higher DA's can easily stall the engine. I have reproduced this effect in more than 10 aircraft and IMO is one procedure that could easily get someone hurt.

If you can help us better understand the conditions we can probably give much better answers.

Back