Fuel Pressure???

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
So last week I actually got to fly 3 days in a row. Temps were cool 25F. As part of my preflight I run the electric fuel boost pump before starting the engine. I see 3psi when running the electric boost pump and about the same with the engine driven pump at 1000rpm.

I run the boost pump for take off and climb to altitude and when landing. Sunday, the 3rd flight of the week I shut the boost pump off at altitude and fuel pressure went to zero. I counted to 10 and turned on boost pump. Switched tanks and shut off boost pump, same thing fuel pressure goes to zero then slowly up to .5psi.

Limits for fuel pressure are .5 to 6psi. I made a 360 and returned home landing with boost pump on and 3psi fuel pressure.

Not sure why fuel pressure with mechanical fuel pump was so low. I'm parked outside and it snowed yesterday 6". I need to trouble shoot fuel pressure issue.

I'm thinking possible frozen water partially blocking the fuel system or simply a bad diaphragm in the mechanical fuel pump.

Comments please. Thanks

O-320-E3D normally aspirated carb.

Isopropyl is a winter pilot's friend, especially when parking outside.

Yellow Heet is bad. Red Heet is good. Yellow NAPA isopropyl is good. It has to be 100% isopropyl alcohol. Read the labels!

Most planes I've flown say 1% if memory serves. That's one 12oz can per 10 gallons but it usually doesn't take that much for minor ice problems or normal anti-ice maintenance.

. It has to be 100% isopropyl alcohol for airplane use.
Thanks Stewart, I'll clean snow off plane today add isopropyl, preheat engine tomorrow and do a run up with engine pump. Fingers are crossed...:)

Back