Fuel Flowmeter; most useful functions

S

Savannah-Tom

Being an experimental flyer, I like to build my own stuff. I've just polished off the last bugs in my fuel flow meter, but I'm thinking about adding more features. So far it calculates fuel flow, hours to empty, gallons used, and gallons remaining.

I'm thinking about connecting it to the gps so I can calculate miles per gallon, but I'm curious what functions others use the most on their factory flow meters. Also, are there things related to fuel flow that you would like, but don't currently have on your equipment.

thanks,
tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Being an experimental flyer, I like to build my own stuff. I've just polished off the last bugs in my fuel flow meter, but I'm thinking about adding more features. So far it calculates fuel flow, hours to empty, gallons used, and gallons remaining.

I'm thinking about connecting it to the gps so I can calculate miles per gallon, but I'm curious what functions others use the most on their factory flow meters. Also, are there things related to fuel flow that you would like, but don't currently have on your equipment.

thanks,
tom
On my Shadin I routinely use nmpg and the range remaining (based on current groundspeed & consumption). It also displays air data like windspeed and direction, and sometimes I use that.

individual fuel remaining indications for each tank if multiple tanks

Our EI that is connected to the GPS has "Fuel to Destination" and "Fuel Remaining at Destination" that are kind handy. It shows immediate effects on increased/decreased wind speed as well as different power settings.

individual fuel remaining indications for each tank if multiple tanks

That would be hard to implement in a Fuel FLOW meter without incorporating some sort of sensor on the fuel tank selector switch or connecting it to the fuel tank sensors - at that point, all your information would be based off of the accuracy of the fuel level sensors you are using.

I missed the part about it needing to be 'easy' - sorry!
heehee!

Ha.. Sorry.. What I meant was that it would be difficult to make it any more accurate than the fuel gauges already installed in the tanks since any information would be based off of those sensors.

I do like the idea of having some sort of sensor that reads off of the fuel tank selector and attributes the fuel flow from that tank accordingly. You could be pretty darn accurate by doing that! And no, that would NOT be easy. ;)

Thanks for the ideas so far. Actually, monitoring multiple tanks wouldn't be so hard, just expensive. It would require a flow sensor for each tank. Two flow sensors if there is a return flow, as well. (as in fuel injected engines) Software-wise, it wouldn't be all that difficult.

tom

I'm ordering a fuel flow transducer to supplement my EI UBG-16 engine monitor. The tech guy at EI was careful to point out I'd get no additional modes other than fuel flow with the add-on. If I wanted the extra functions I'd have to get a standalone system. I told him I was an old school "time the tanks" guy that only wanted it to determine if I could benefit from a set GAMI injectors. Without a baseline fuel flow determined for each cylinder EGT peak it's just a shot in the dark to try to run LOP with or without the GAMI's. That, plus I have no more room in the panel for another gauge.

I know a couple of pilots that ran out of fuel using a fuel computer. They're pretty dumb (the computers). If you don't tell them the truth they will fail you.

Last edited:
That would be hard to implement in a Fuel FLOW meter without incorporating some sort of sensor on the fuel tank selector switch or connecting it to the fuel tank sensors - at that point, all your information would be based off of the accuracy of the fuel level sensors you are using.

It would be accurate enough. Just press a 'SWITCH TANK' button when you switch tanks. Fuel pump, SWITCH TANK BUTTON, *flick the switch*.

I suspect such a feature would be nice for people that have main tanks, aux tanks, and who knows what else tank they need to be worrying about. I've seen pilots of such planes keeping track of all of it using a notepad based on the fuel totalizer.

Thanks for the ideas so far. Actually, monitoring multiple tanks wouldn't be so hard, just expensive. It would require a flow sensor for each tank. Two flow sensors if there is a return flow, as well. (as in fuel injected engines) Software-wise, it wouldn't be all that difficult.

tom

All you really need assuming return flow is directed to the supply tank is a switch on the selector that let's the totalizer know which tank is feeding the engine. If return flow is fixed to one tank you'd need a second
flowmeter as well but the rest is just simple math.

It would be accurate enough. Just press a 'SWITCH TANK' button when you switch tanks. Fuel pump, SWITCH TANK BUTTON, *flick the switch*.

I suspect such a feature would be nice for people that have main tanks, aux tanks, and who knows what else tank they need to be worrying about. I've seen pilots of such planes keeping track of all of it using a notepad based on the fuel totalizer.

True. I was thinking along the lines of total simplicity for the average "I already have to much to do" pilot not wanting something else to remember (or forget).

I use a similar procedure in the RV with the EI. It has a fuel totalizer that we reset each time we refuel. It starts out at 40gal. I run X gallons out of one tank, then switch tanks, run down to X gallons, switch tanks. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. I keep a running tally of time on my knee-board as a back-up, but the EI is so accurate, it's more precise than the standard "time it, change it" method.

Back