Fuel flow at full rich - Arrow II

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
On climbout (25 inches MP, 2,500 RPM, full rich) what should the fuel flow be? I'm seeing 12 gph. Sounds low to me.

Understood. Just a RULE that EVERY CS prop plane MUST follow as taught to me.

Then I bought a plane with a 2400rpm redline :rofl:

Fuel Flow is set with Wide Open Throttle - Full Prop RPM. If your Prop is exceeeding redline than adjust your prop governor.

I typically climb out WOT - Full Prop RPM and only do the big pull once I reach altitude. The only time I vary is when it is really hot outside and I need to keep the CHT in check but then I only pull the throttle not RPM.

Don't know if it is true but it seems to me that if something was to break it is going to happen when I pull the RPM back on an engine running full bore. Prefer that to happen at 8000 feet rather then 500.

Fuel Flow is set with Wide Open Throttle - Full Prop RPM. If your Prop is exceeeding redline than adjust your prop governor.

I typically climb out WOT - Full Prop RPM and only do the big pull once I reach altitude. The only time I vary is when it is really hot outside and I need to keep the CHT in check but then I only pull the throttle not RPM.

Don't know if it is true but it seems to me that if something was to break it is going to happen when I pull the RPM back on an engine running full bore. Prefer that to happen at 8000 feet rather then 500.

That's what I do as well. WOT, full RPM, pitch to control temps and I lean to the EGT that I had WOT on the ground (about 1200 in my plane)

Well, okay, all engines are different. If Piper's procedure for the Lycoming IO 360 C1C is to climb out full bore, full RPM, full rich up to obstacle clearance, then 25/25 and maintain full rich to cruise altitude, I'd prefer to do that rather than experiment with an expensive motor. If someone has a better procedure for that engine I'm open. I don't have a fancy engine monitor so LOP climbouts aren't an option right now.

My question is if the fuel mixture is adjusted correctly. I remember running upwards of 16 gph on climbout (2500 rpm, 31 inches) on my Turbo Arrow.

Well, okay, all engines are different. If Piper's procedure for the Lycoming IO 360 C1C is to climb out full bore, full RPM, full rich up to obstacle clearance, then 25/25 and maintain full rich to cruise altitude, I'd prefer to do that rather than experiment with an expensive motor. If someone has a better procedure for that engine I'm open. I don't have a fancy engine monitor so LOP climbouts aren't an option right now.

My question is if the fuel mixture is adjusted correctly. I remember running upwards of 16 gph on climbout (2500 rpm, 31 inches) on my Turbo Arrow.

I'm sure someone who can explain why 25/25 isn't ideal better than I will be along

I'm all for learning better techniques and I get the whole point that 25/25 isn't a standard that should be applied for all engines (I didn't fly my Turbo Arrow that way).

Sounds like I better get that checked out.

IIRC, the IO-360-A1B6 will run somewhere around 15ish GPH on 25/25 climb-out at full-rich. 12 GPH does sound low for a full-rich mixture at a relatively high power setting.

If Piper's procedure for the Lycoming IO 360 C1C is to climb out full bore, full RPM, full rich up to obstacle clearance, then 25/25 and maintain full rich to cruise altitude, I'd prefer to do that rather than experiment with an expensive motor.
On N32492 the IO-360 can be run with any MP it takes while rpms are above 2350. The maximum power RPM is 2700, not 2500.

My Hiperbipe has a "tweeked" IO-360C1C and will turn 2700 and wide open throttle into close to 20 GPH.
I choose not to look at the fuel flow gauge when the fun lever is pegged...:yikes:

I always climb at full revs and MP 'till I get to altitude, push level and wait for a minute then set prop, throttle, mixture and in-flight movie.

I was told the fuel supply is biased rich @ full throttle to help keep the motor happy and cool during a climbout. I also use full power during acro (with the prop @ 2600) for the same reason. So far, so good!

Chris

PS: The "square" method of operation 25-25 or 23-23 is total bunk and is like an old fairy tale that just won't die.

I'm sure someone who can explain why 25/25 isn't ideal better than I will be along

PS: The "square" method of operation 25-25 or 23-23 is total bunk and is like an old fairy tale that just won't die.

It isn't ideal. It is also not bunk.

Running 25 square is a safe operating setting for the vast majority of our O and IO engines.

Having said that, any combination specified in your POH is also a safe operating setting.

When I was getting my HP and Complex sign-off, my instructor told me that if for whatever reason you didn't have time to peruse the POH or couldn't remember the other settings, use 25 square or 2500 rpm and any MP setting 25" or below. It may not be optimal, but it is a safe setting for the engine.

In no way should this be interpreted that "use any other setting and you will die!" That is the bunk!

-Skip

On climbout (25 inches MP, 2,500 RPM, full rich) what should the fuel flow be? I'm seeing 12 gph. Sounds low to me.

That sounds low to me too. I can remember seeing 12-13 at full throttle cruise on a IO-320 in a Warrior/161, so I would expect a 360 to consume more on climb.

Back