Fuel drain part number

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
What is the difference between CCA-1550 and CCA-36150 Curtis fuel drain valves? The latter seems to be Cadmium plated... is that any better or worse than straight brass?

different p/ns same valve

They are close to the same, but 36150 is Cadmium plated brass whereas 1550 is only brass. My shop on the field here used a 36150 with a bit of teflon tape around the threads. Just wondering if the Cadmium or tape is going to affect anything.

I have read that one should not use teflon tape, but the guy who did it is an AP/IA so I'm sure he knows more than me about this stuff.

This is the on-field shop and I normally take my plane elsewhere for service.

Last edited:
They are close to the same, but 36150 is Cadmium plated brass whereas 1550 is only brass. My shop on the field here used a 36150 with a bit of teflon tape around the threads. Just wondering if the Cadmium or tape is going to affect anything.

I have read that one should not use teflon tape, but the guy who did it is an AP/IA so I'm sure he knows more than me about this stuff.

This is the on-field shop and I normally take my plane elsewhere for service.
By the book Teflon tape should not be used on a fuel system. In practice if you keep the tape off the first two threads it won’t get in the system during assembly. One has to be a bit careful about removing all tape bits on disassembly.

I might casually discuss it with an A&P that used tape on a fuel system. Or I might get assertive about it depending on what I know or don’t know about his/her skills.

I always use Fuel Lube on oil and fuel line threads on my plane. A new product that's like Fuel Lube is called something else, but I can't remember what the name is right now.

Last edited:
I watched him do it and the tape as I recall is only on the lower threads.

Back