Fuel drain hack

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
Today I had to drain the fuel from my wing and before I did I added some duct tape on the down wing side of the drain to prevent the fuel from running down the wing and dripping of the trailing edge.

Fuel draining.jpg

Good thinking there!

Would it had been easier if you used a length of hose? Just asking.

Would it had been easier if you used a length of hose? Just asking.

We use hose, but you also then need a fitting that will connect the hose to the threaded port in the tank. Might take some doing if you don't have a variety around like we do. The fitting also slows the flow. The fuel flows much faster out of the fuel hose from the strainer, and then the drain can be used to get the last of the residual fuel in the tank.

Straight out of the port can have fuel crawling inside the wing structure in airplanes with aluminum tanks. Not so much with bladders or integral tanks.

In cold weather I don't like the fuel falling that far through the air. It can accumulate a potentially dangerous charge. In windy weather it flies all over the place.

I use a length of 2" masking tape on the aircraft belly when doing messy jobs that involve solvent or oil running down the firewall. It stops the fluid from flowing along the belly.

Well, he does appear to have a jumper cable as a grounding strap . . . although I'm not sure how well that works on plastic. :dunno:

Back