Fuel cost as a percentage of total operating expenses

Clearly we need to all buy more expensive planes so that the fuel cost as a percentage is smaller.
:D

Maybe, I am just crying in my 100LL. I do think it has escalated more than other fuels, and to a prohibitive degree.

Personally, I'm more concerned about escalating medical costs and university education costs than 100LL costs. But I don't see that posting on an internet website will do much to fix any of those three.

Other than telling them that you are plssed and not taking this any more, what else should we say?

You seem to have a lot of questions, do you have any solutions? Are you saying there are no ways to reduce fuel costs, and we should just give up trying?

I don't pretend to have all the answers. That's why I started this thread, to spur discussion, see where others are in their OpEx, and maybe discuss a strategy to move OpEx down by reduced fuel costs.

Personally, I'm more concerned about escalating medical costs and university education costs than 100LL costs. But I don't see that posting on an internet website will do much to fix any of those three.

If this were a medical or education website, I would agree with you. Also, if you really want to discuss those items here, there are places you can. Primarily, I thought this was a GA website, and this is a huge issue affecting how much we can FLY. Right? :confused:

I am surprised there wasn't more participation in this thread, since I believe fuel costs are a leading deteriment to GA. Knowing that some may not want to know the costs, but still. :(
My fuel costs are rolled into the hourly rate for the plane, so I really have no idea what the percentage is.

I did start keeping track of how much it was costing me to get my PPL, and eventually stopped. I'm about 10 hours away from my checkride, and I know aprox what the number is, but I don't want to see it on paper. :yikes:

You seem to have a lot of questions, do you have any solutions? Are you saying there are no ways to reduce fuel costs, and we should just give up trying?

I don't pretend to have all the answers. That's why I started this thread, to spur discussion, see where others are in their OpEx, and maybe discuss a strategy to move OpEx down by reduced fuel costs.
There are many ways to reduce fuel costs are they are constantly discussed here and on other GA boards. Here are some of the ones I see frequently:

- Don't fly so much.
- Spend $$$$ on "speed mods" to improve the speed/fuel flow ratio.
- Find fields with significantly lower fuel prices and tanker fuel.
- Fly a plane that burns less fuel for your mission (like a J3 if your mission is to maximize time in the air, or a slick, efficient aircraft that gets better mpg if cross-country flight is your goal)

In other words, if you want to address the fuel cost portion of your aviation expenses, then look at the things you can control and do something about those factors.

You're not going to affect the price of fuel at the pump.

Fuel cost is calculated by multiplying rate X volume. Which variable do you consider to be the most controllable by the pilot, assuming the use of a siphon is not an option? What new techniques are available for volume, assuming leaning and lower power settings have already been utilized?

If somebody asked the same question about auto expense, how would you answer it? I think you're peeing up a rope.

It is a sad fact of life that crude oil has become a lot more expensive, along with all the associated derived products (including mogas and avgas). It is very unlikely to ever come down again. It is what it is.

The best I can do is console myself that on average I can get about 10 mpg in my C206 going at about 190 mph (all statute miles of course), which ain't bad if you were to compare that to a similarly sized terrain hugging mode of transportation. One of my cars gets 16 mpg, and the other one gets 17 mpg all at a significantly lower average speed. And I can carry a lot more in my C206. So all in all, I am satisfied. The other stuff related to owning a plane pains me more. Renting a hangar at Addison is more painful for example for me. I don't even think about the fuel to be honest.

Back