fuel caps

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
tell me about monarch fuel caps.
the Cessna 170--(1948) have a very poor design, they leak fuel and allow water to enter the fuel cell.
Who has a better idea.

old type filler neck we need a better system.

Attachments

• IMG_4184.jpeg
    IMG_4184.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 57
Cessna made a service kit to raise the fillers what, 30 years ago? https://support.cessna.com/custsupt/contacts/pubs/ourpdf.pdf?as_id=22175

My 180 factory seaplane has long range tanks so inboard and outboard fillers. The inboards were changed per the service kit before I bought the plane 25 years ago. The rarely used outboard fillers still use flush "killer" caps. Lube the cap mechanism and change the O rings every 10 years or so and they work great.

Last edited:
Reactions: YKA
Cessna made a service kit to raise the fillers what, 30 years ago? https://support.cessna.com/custsupt/contacts/pubs/ourpdf.pdf?as_id=22175

My 180 factory seaplane has long range tanks so inboard and outboard fillers. The inboards were changed per the service kit before I bought the plane 25 years ago. The rarely used outboard fillers still use flush "killer" caps. Lube the cap mechanism and change the O rings every 10 years or so and they work great.
doesn't fit the 1948,, the kit starts at 1949. they are same as early 172, not the same as the 120/140-and the 1948.

Last edited:
Dad put the "umbrella" caps on his 182 after having an emergency landing due to fuel exhaustion. Found his red and white airplane had turned blue. The caps had bad stem seals, and the gas was siphoned out as he was flying along.

tell me about monarch fuel caps.
the Cessna 170--(1948) have a very poor design, they leak fuel and allow water to enter the fuel cell.
Who has a better idea.
That's the caps that Dad used. They make visually checking fuel level a PITA, but they won't leak. They have a little flap in the neck kind of like a car has.

Dad put the "umbrella" caps on his 182 after having an emergency landing due to fuel exhaustion. Found his red and white airplane had turned blue. The caps had bad stem seals, and the gas was siphoned out as he was flying along.
that's what is going on. leaks.

WoW! I just checked for pricing for a pair of caps blanks $1390.00

I don't think his caps were that expensive, but it was over 20 years ago that he got them.

the flush caps had bad stem seals, and the gas was siphoned out as he was flying along.

In addition to the two o-rings (center and outer) of the flush caps, there's a harder-to-detect failure mode. The fuel "door" (the steel plate the outer o-ring seals against) can develop porosity due to corrosion. It may look fine, even shiny... but if you put a strong light inside the tank, you can see a 1,000 points of light right through the fuel door. I have one that was removed from a friend's Cardinal... his airplane was ingesting copious amounts of water after every rain, even though he re-ringed and lubed religiously.

Monarch caps replaced the fuel door with their own, problem gone.

Correct,, the caps won't vent, they lost the company over it.
What? No one lost the company... the founder, Bill Barton, passed away. He found it impossible to continue operations from the afterlife, so his widow sold out to Hartwig.

I've never heard a substantiated allegation that Monarch caps won't vent. Mine vent just fine.

Reactions: YKA
What? No one lost the company... the founder, Bill Barton, passed away. He found it impossible to continue operations from the afterlife, so his widow sold out to Hartwig.

I've never heard a substantiated allegation that Monarch caps won't vent. Mine vent just fine.

Probably everybody already knows this, especially since I've posted it MANY times................Bill Barton also invented the "Barbi" doll. He had plenty of money and he told me he invented the caps and tanks because a friend perished in a C-210 from water contamination.

McFarlane has replacement Cessna Caps, and also sells the gasket kits, and in hundreds of hours I've never had one water problem with either flying in tons of rain.

I hope you are right, that's better than what I was told.

McFarlane has replacement Cessna Caps, and also sells the gasket kits, and in hundreds of hours I've never had one water problem with either flying in tons of rain.

There is NO one making a fuel cap for a 48 -170.
1949 170-A thru all 170/172 no problems

Attachments

• IMG_4191-1.jpeg
    IMG_4191-1.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 12
Bill Barton also invented the "Barbi" doll. He had plenty of money and he told me he invented the caps and tanks because a friend perished in a C-210 from water contamination.

Bill doesn't seem to figure in the Barbie creation story... or, is Barbi different than Barbie? What was Bill's role?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbie

Bill visited our Cardinal Club fly-ins a couple of times in the 80's... I heard the story as being a bladder-equipped 182. But I guess the early, before 1966, 210s may have had bladders as well? Bill also developed a plastic tank to replace the bladders in the 182, but that requires R&R'ing the wing to install. Hartwig didn't carry that product, or the lower-cost bayonet-mount fuel caps (no internal flapper) forward after they acquired Monarch.

Paul

Bill doesn't seem to figure in the Barbie creation story... or, is Barbi different than Barbie? What was Bill's role?...........

It was he..............Designer/inventor

https://www.poynter.org/archive/2002/a-better-barbie-story/

61RkudCVOTL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=bil...DQIHVTgDsQQ_AUIDigA&biw=1409&bih=668&dpr=1.35

I spent a week with Bill Barton, while he manufactured and installed "Monarch" main and aux tanks for my Cessna 185. He had a shop at the Roseburg Airport....................and lived in nearby Oakland, Oregon.

His friend who perished in a Cessna might have crashed in something other than a 210. (My memory is great, except for the past!)

When Cessna began manufacturing airplanes again after the General Aviation Revitalization Act of 1994, Cessna was offered the "Monarch" tanks. They foolishly declined and now the Cessna 172 has something like 10 fuel sampling ports.

Years ago I jumped through all the hoops to post and edit on WIKI. Maybe I should dive in and fix the WIKI "Barbie" article. I did post his picture of Sir Harry Garner................who had a ride in my Super Cub!! My father made the picture of sir Harry and Lady Garner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Garner

"""He worked for the British government on aerodynamics leading a group at Felixstowe on marine aviation before becoming chief scientist at the Ministry of Supply."""

It was he...Designer/inventor
Ah! When you said:
Bill Barton also invented the "Barbi" doll. He had plenty of money...
I took it you were making some linkage between those two facts... otherwise, why mention his money or lack of it? But in fact, in the article you posted, it says:
Barton never earned an extra penny for having invented Barbie
So I was confused as to what point you were making about the money... that's all.

Bill was a great guy... did lots of things to make people safer at no profit to himself. We need more like him... great engineer!

Paul

I spent a week with Bill Barton, while he manufactured and installed "Monarch" main and aux tanks for my Cessna 185. He had a shop at the Roseburg Airport....................and lived in nearby Oakland, Oregon.

His friend who perished in a Cessna might have crashed in something other than a 210. (My memory is great, except for the past!)

When Cessna began manufacturing airplanes again after the General Aviation Revitalization Act of 1994, Cessna was offered the "Monarch" tanks. They foolishly declined and now the Cessna 172 has something like 10 fuel sampling ports.
I know this is a couple years old but saw your post and had to reply. If you have one of Bill's tank kits that replaced the bladders you probably have parts that I welded in your plane. I did a lot of welding for Bill back in the day. Bill was quite the guy and I still miss him. My 150 has one of his cap sets on it. Have a good day!

Back