Fuel Cap Question

Aeric

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Aeric
So I planned to take a friend flying today, started the pre-flight and...the left (pilot's) side fuel cap is missing:mad:. All indications are of theft.
It is a 1973 C-150L.
The right side fuel cap is vented and the left fuel tank is vented with the tube that exits behind the strut. My factory parts manual lists a part number for the left cap and of course a different number for the right. When I do a search for these part numbers it seems as though the only cap I can obtain is the vented (right side) one. In fact, one site indicates that the non-vented cap has been replaced by the vented one. Also, the Cessna parts list shows the vented cap part number as right and left.
Anyway, my question: Would there be harm in having vented caps on both tanks? It seems as though this is the only option.

Both fuel caps should be vented.

Per AD 79-10-14R1, each tank should have a vented cap.

What is the aircraft serial number?

Both fuel caps should be vented.

Per AD 79-10-14R1, each tank should have a vented cap.

What is the aircraft serial number?
I just took a look at the referenced AD and the serial number is within that range. The airplane is in compliance with the AD. I just thought that the AD specified one vented cap on the right tank. The wording within the AD doesn't seem clear.
This would explain the fact that the non-vented caps are not available.
I remember during primary training however, a couple of CFI's explaining that the right cap was vented and the left tank was vented.
Anyway, thanks for the reply and I'll order the cap first thing tomorrow.

Do not just go around putting vented caps on Cessna tanks indiscriminately. There are at least six or seven different fuel situations.

Ordered the cap, I'll have it tomorrow. Factory new, not aftermarket PMA'd. The non-vented caps are not even manufactured anymore. The amazing thing is the price, 42 bucks. I was expecting twice that.

The original version of that AD and the Cessna SB it references required a vented cap only on the right tank. The tanks have interconnected airspaces as per FAR 23.975 and the single vent on that RH tank was enough to meet the needs of both tanks if the main underwing vent got plugged.

Most affected airplanes will have vented caps on both tanks. But many may have the little silicone rubber check valve damaged or just aged so that it doesn't seal properly, and uneven fuel flow results.

Last time I bought those caps they were about $26. Genuine Cessna. Compare that to a Piper cap...I read on POA once that someone paid north of $300 for one...

Dan

Ordered the cap, I'll have it tomorrow. Factory new, not aftermarket PMA'd. The non-vented caps are not even manufactured anymore. The amazing thing is the price, 42 bucks. I was expecting twice that.

:hairraise:... I expected 10 times that 42 bucks..... There is hope for GA after all.:yesnod:

Last time I bought those caps they were about $26. Genuine Cessna. Compare that to a Piper cap...I read on POA once that someone paid north of $300 for one...

Dan
Several places wanted a little over $50, one place had one for about $33 IIRC, but it may not have been genuine Cessna.

Are there cameras at the airport? How can we catch this guy? Did any paying students have to cancel (aka you lost income) while the plane was down?

based on my, ahem, experience, i would look at the beginning of the runway for the missing gas cap.

based on my, ahem, experience, i would look at the beginning of the runway for the missing gas cap.

Which means that the little retaining chain wasn't installed as per IPC.

Dan

Back