fuel burn

judypilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Judy Parrish
I just got back from a 2.5-week trip to, from, and in Alaska. It was an amazing trip, and fulfilled a dream I've had since learning to fly. I've flown in Alaska in borrowed airplanes, but never my airplane to and from.

The reason I'm posting this here is that this was by far the longest trip, with some long legs, I've taken at such low altitudes. I learned to fly in Arizona and much of my flying has been there and around the Rocky Mountain West at high altitudes and even higher density altitudes, when you're running lean all the time. The flying I've done at low elevations has always been where I was never more than a couple of hours from an airport, so I've never really paid that much attention to fuel burns at low altitudes. I used to track the fuel burn for every flight, and I've got it nailed to the ounce for the majority of flights I take, but for a variety of reasons, I stopped. Big mistake, as I passed up many opportunities to understand my airplane more intimately than I had before, with respect to how much fuel it burns at low altitudes. (It's not that I don't keep track at all, just not nailed to tne ounce.)

Amazingly, the terrain to, from, and in Alaska, which we think of as being so mountainous, is actually more conducive to low-level flight. There are mountains, but they aren't particularly high except in some small areas, and the valleys are wide and the valley floors low. Often, it is less turbulent down in the valleys than higher (this is true in all mountains, actually). I the highest I flew during the entire trip was 9500' and that was only so Vancouver Center could pick me up on radar crossing back into the US. I occasionally flew at 7500' for turbulence on warm days, but about 90% of the time I was below 5500' and much of the time as low as 2500'-3500'. (2500' is below the elevation of my home airport.)

The longest leg I had was Dawson to Watson Lake, and I flew much of that at 3500'-7500', mostly at 5500'. When I refueled in Watson Lake, I was astonished at how much fuel the tanks took. Oh, this was also an example of not trusting fuel gauges, because from the gauges I'd guessed I had about twice as much. Lower than I usually go, but comfortable. Not so comfortable when I found out how much I'd actually burned.

Backtracking, the fuel burn was quite reasonable given the altitudes I was flying at. One might say no harm, no foul, but I'm still kicking myself for not following one of my own principles, which is to know my airplane as intimately as possible. Lesson learned.

Judy

Nice story Judy, Ak is high on my list right now.
I had a similar experience in the Viking. I always fly high. So when center wanted me very low for some reason, I neglected the new fuel burn and ran a tank dry over the burbs of Detroit at night. %$# Not Nice; lesson learned!

judypilot said:
The longest leg I had was Dawson to Watson Lake, and I flew much of that at 3500'-7500', mostly at 5500'. When I refueled in Watson Lake, I was astonished at how much fuel the tanks took. Oh, this was also an example of not trusting fuel gauges, because from the gauges I'd guessed I had about twice as much. Lower than I usually go, but comfortable. Not so comfortable when I found out how much I'd actually burned.

Backtracking, the fuel burn was quite reasonable given the altitudes I was flying at. One might say no harm, no foul, but I'm still kicking myself for not following one of my own principles, which is to know my airplane as intimately as possible. Lesson learned.

Judy
One nice thing about having an instrument that shows actual fuel usage is that it provides the opportunity to become very aware of your burn rate under almost any condition. For instance I know I can achieve 175-180 KTAS between 3000 and 11000 with a flow of 23-26 GPH. Not only does this allow for confident long range planning, it helps me recognize when an engine problem affects fuel useage significantly. Of course, a totalizer also gives a very accurate answer to the "can we still make it" question when you are stretching the limits.

JPI makes a good unit that I think can be installed in a carbureted 182 and IIRC the street price is around $700.

http://www.jpinstruments.com/fuel_scan.html

Last edited:
Judy- interesting read. It's amusing since the highest I've flown is 8000', and I generally do 5500 or less. The airports I use are 80' above sea level or less.

Tim said:
and you didn't even stop in and say Hi....:dunno:

Tim,

Omigosh, I would have loved to! I gathered all the pilot names I could remember from Alaska. The problem is, I don't have a very good memory for this sort of thing and there's no list of people that you can sort by location to remind myself of who's where. I would LOVE to have such a list, but it doesn't exist. I did visit Richard Moore, who is "Alaskaflyer"--that stuck.

I did post quite a while before my trip that I was coming to Alaska, hoping that Alaska folks would see it and contact me before I left.

I'm really sorry that I forgot you are there. But I'll be back.

Judy

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back