Fuel at $10, how much will you fly?

It's been $10 a gallon here for a year or so, still cheaper then commercial.

That’d be an ouch, but I’d still be able to do a sunset hop for $25ish with my Luscombe.

Compared to avionics, parts, paint, ratings & insurance. I've got a loooong way to go before gas starts to become a dent in my airplane budget.

Yep.

I added up my aviation costs for 2021, and fuel was only about 1/4 of costs.

Maintenance was the biggest cost, at 2X my fuel costs.

And that was not unusual for me. So, if fuel doubles in price for a year, that would be like a worse-than-average year for maintenance.

According to the chart I'm looking at the price of a barrel of oil hit approximately $100 on 2/24, the day of the invasion. It peaked on 3/7 at $130.50. Right now as I'm writing this, the price is $94.42 a barrel. So fuel shouldn't be up much, if any at all, from the price 2 weeks ago. And yet in many places it is.

100LL was $5.35 yesterday at KMKS ...

100LL was $5.35 yesterday at KMKS ...
My main fuel stop that was the cheapest around looks like they just got filled as they're now one of the more expensive. From 4.70 a gallon to 5.95 a gallon currently

My main fuel stop that was the cheapest around looks like they just got filled as they're now one of the more expensive. From 4.70 a gallon to 5.95 a gallon currently
Come on down to 3MY. :D

Come on down to 3MY. :D
KBUU at 4.79. But don't tempt me, got a 200 gallon transfer tank I modified for a customer that I got stiffed on. Maybe when the weather clears I'll go try a turf field that has 4.00 UL94.

Last edited:
Back