FTY closed for the weekend!!

N747JB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John
I know we all read all the NOTAMS before we fly:rolleyes: so it's not a big deal when an airport is closed from 6PM on Friday until 6AM on Monday, but I am glad my favorite lineman called me last night to tell me! There was supposed to be an email sent out, but apparently I didn't get it. It's not a huge deal, we are going to leave a car at PDK tomorrow before we fly out and I can pick the plane on Monday and fly it home. It's just odd that they are closing all three runways to resurface and repaint, seems that they could leave one open while they work on the others??

Time is money. In this case the airport owner is paying the contractor, and the fastest way to get the job done is likely the cheapest for him. And note that the contractor is working on the weekend - between other jobs???

Sorry for your inconvenience. :(

-Skip

Time is money. In this case the airport owner is paying the contractor, and the fastest way to get the job done is likely the cheapest for him. And note that the contractor is working on the weekend - between other jobs???

Sorry for your inconvenience. :(

-Skip
The airport owner is Fulton county and I doubt they give a rat's rear end about cost, it's as corrupt as any big city! :rolleyes: The last time they did it, they left one runway open, so it was easier for the locals. I think the decision to do it on the weekend, which I understand, is that Home Depot and Coca Cola don't fly very often between Friday afternoon and Monday morning and they, along with Bellsouth are the biggest players on the field. ;) Around here a lot, if not most, paving is done at night and weekends, especially major road work, less traffic to screw up and all that. I am just glad my lineman friend called me, because it's easy to not look at NOTAMS! :eek:

notams, pfft. what could go wrong? Like flying on tuesday, in a /u 172 to do some approaches and just get 90 day current. Stupid nav radios are broke, i cant get anything from RMG VOR. oops.
!RMG 10/007 RMG NAV VOR OUT OF SERVICE 1610141659-1611042000EST

:(

notams, pfft. what could go wrong? Like flying on tuesday, in a /u 172 to do some approaches and just get 90 day current. Stupid nav radios are broke, i cant get anything from RMG VOR. oops.
!RMG 10/007 RMG NAV VOR OUT OF SERVICE 1610141659-1611042000EST

:(
I left FTY early one morning, sky was clear and 100 miles, so I just filed and left for Port Canaveral to pick up my office manager and her husband from a cruise. They had driven down, but two days earlier their youngest son was killed in an car wreck, so I didn't want them to have to drive home. I took two friends to drive their car home and I had them back in Atlanta by 11:00....................two main runways are NOTAM'd closed for painting!! I ended up landing on runway 27, 2600 ft in a Citation II, I had about 400 feet to spare, but I made sure I had the speed right coming over the fence. One other time about 20 years ago we were flying into Washington DC, I can't remember the name of the airport, but they were painting that runway too, we were about 30 minutes late leaving and didn't make the deadline and had to go to Dulles! :D

Our airport was also resurfacing the big rwy but they closed even the little rwy.
However, they did allow takeoff and landing (daytime only) on the wide taxiway, with mandatory coordination with the foreman. So that was nice of them to let us li'l guys fly that weekend.

It's just odd that they are closing all three runways to resurface and repaint, seems that they could leave one open while they work on the others??

We only have one runway; however, when they work on it our airport manager has a brain and the notam reads to use Taxiway A (which is full length side by side with the runway) as the new active until work is complete:D

We only have one runway; however, when they work on it our airport manager has a brain and the notam reads to use Taxiway A (which is full length side by side with the runway) as the new active until work is complete:D
Your airport manager has a brain too?
Next thing I know you're telling me that he actually likes airplanes and aviation.
Has the world gone mad?? :D

Our airport manager is nice and cool, she is actually a student pilot, hoping to finish her PPL one day in the future. So she understands the pains of the li'l GA pilots and tries to accommodate us as much as she can. And that's an A+ in my book! :)

I showed up at our airport the other day at 3:55 and found out it was closing from 4-7 for airshow practice!! Luckily I talked to the airboss and he squeaked us in between two practices and we got out.

Back